Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnyjeep

Aux oil capacity

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone figured out a way to add an oil tank to increase the capcity for the 06 wr450?

Thanks

John in Vegas

I'm going to weld a oil tank into my skidplate for my 07 wr450

Do you have any ideas yet? How much will it hold, how is it going to be designed for draining/changing oil?

John in Vegas

I think somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a qt.

DSC00843.jpg

like some one said in the thread sc posted....what happens when you smash a rock where the skid pan and oil cooler are? i know its un likely but when your down in mexico and 300 miles from the truck the last thing you want is that to happen.

also do you want an oil cooler to cool not just hold more...i have had no problems with oil and my 06 but i wish it held at least another half quart of oil.

what I was thinking incase I smash it . First thing is I'm am thinking I would know that I hit something hard .

step 2 turn off bike.

step 3 check for leaks

step 4 found a leak now what?

what I was thinking was to make the tanks line the stock lenth so that if it did fail I could just hook the line back to the block and check the oil level then go.

1 person likes this

like some one said in the thread sc posted....what happens when you smash a rock where the skid pan and oil cooler are? i know its un likely but when your down in mexico and 300 miles from the truck the last thing you want is that to happen.

also do you want an oil cooler to cool not just hold more...i have had no problems with oil and my 06 but i wish it held at least another half quart of oil.

Ive got the gtyr plate and ride in rocks a lot. I have hit hard on the plate with no holes or cracks. I wouldnt be "that" concerned especially if he welds the tank on the plate as opposed to using the plate as one of the walls of the tank.

One of the concerns I have had while daydreaming about this is if your reserve is higher than the motor (which tweav's design isnt), will too much oil drain into the case when sitting and cause problems when firing it back up?

hey johnnyjeep, remember when I had that TAT thread going on the dualsport thread? I was looking into this also .... I saw that the euro side car guys made some oil tank mods .....

note: I no longer have the url to these pics .....

sidecar3.jpg

sidecar2.jpg

sidecar4.jpg

Man I wish I could get to my carb on 07 wr450 as e-z as side car willy there.I may sound dumb but what is the side car for?

Man I wish I could get to my carb on 07 wr450 as e-z as side car willy there.I may sound dumb but what is the side car for?

they race this contraption! on mx tracks! do a google search and you'll find all kinds of euro nuts doing this! The monkey may be the craziest of them all though ......

now, back to oil storage and coolers .... yeah, I gather these machines need the extra oil for the extra load they carry ......

I'll post some pics when I get it done.I may make a oil cooler too. But 1 thing at a time for now

I'll post some pics when I get it done.I may make a oil cooler too. But 1 thing at a time for now

tweav, did you see clark's post and link? while that didn't have an extra tank, it is an external cooler which does hold extra oil ....

well I really don't to see any pics , So you can leave the me out of that we .I want to see the real thing as some as I have some time to build it.:banghead::busted::ride: