How to remove a broken bearing race

well, my swingarm bearings exploded and now i need to get the new ones in, problem is that the old races wont come out. the outer lip is broken off on both sides.

im gonna try to cut through it and pull it out n halved. any other suggestions?

thanks

Sounds good to me. Just use a hand saw and be careful you don't cut too deep, or the swingarm will be toast.

Try to find a washer that is a tiny bit smaller than the bearing bore in the swingarm. Start with the washer on one side, along with something a bit smaller in diameter, (and a lot tougher), to back it up. On the other side, put a socket that the bearing would just fit into, and is deep enough to swallow the length of the bearing.

Tie this whole stack of crap together with a piece of allthread, two washers, and two nuts. Lube the nuts, washers, and allthread, then tighten the nuts down with wrenches so you can do it slowly, and feel what you are doing.

Keep everything straight, and start cranking on it. If it seems like it is getting too tight without the bearing moving, give the allthread a hit with a hammer to shock it, and it should move. Crank on it again, and shock it as necessary.

torch

yea, ive used the threaded rod and sockets with no success. i even held a propane torch on it for a while, and still nothing. need this done be tomorrow too
I mentioned a washer because they tend to have sharper edges. A typical socket has a radius on the outer diameter, and that tends to make the socket wedge into the bearing race, and wedge the race into the bore. When the race is thick, a socket won't cause this problem.

torch

A hacksaw won't cut the bearing race. The part that broke isn't what you press against. Do like Torch said. Clean it all out good before you start and use penetrating oil as was suggested.

Get the sockets and threaded rod all set up and tight. THEN apply some heat and bang on the rod. If it doesn't move cool it all down and start over. The idea of this is to heat the aluminum and not the steel. Once they both heat up the difference in expansion isn't that much and you don't want to aneal the aluminum. Also the heat/cool cycles will help loosen it up.

Above all be patient.

Edit:

Looked closer, I see what you mean about thin. Still, Torch has the right idea.

I FOUND A WAY TO GET IT OUT!!!

i looked on the pivotworks website and came across this:

Driving the bearing out from the opposite side it best. If you can’t do that, here is another alternative.

In most cases, roller or needle bearing cages are case hardened. While this is good for wear resistance it tends to leave the bearing cage somewhat brittle and this makes them easy to break with impact. The best way is to try to fold the bearing cage in on itself using a good punch and hammer. This method will USUALLY break the cage and make the bearing cage easier to extract from its cavity. Be sure to wear protective clothing and safety glasses when performing this procedure.

i tried that and it worked..downside is i kinda massacred the aluminum, but its nothing a file cannot solve. the other side is proving to be much more difficult.

DSC00295.jpg

oh, i tried a reciprocating saw and it didnt cut it. too tough.

I FOUND A WAY TO GET IT OUT!!!

i looked on the pivotworks website and came across this:

i tried that and it worked..downside is i kinda massacred the aluminum, but its nothing a file cannot solve. the other side is proving to be much more difficult.

DSC00295.jpg

oh, i tried a reciprocating saw and it didnt cut it. too tough.

Thats what I was gonna suggest but you already found it.

:banghead:

The race is a bit harder than the blade, huh?:banghead:

Also, the race is harder than the punch, and the aluminum is way softer than both, so the aluminum will suffer.

The method I recommended is based on many tries doing the same type of thing (removing a stubborn peice of hard steel from a valuable aluminum part). The punch method is my LAST resort.

torch

well, my swingarm bearings exploded and now i need to get the new ones in, problem is that the old races wont come out. the outer lip is broken off on both sides.

im gonna try to cut through it and pull it out n halved. any other suggestions?

thanks

What I have done is to get a pointed chisel, narrow end and hammer it under the outer race (I assume you mean the needle roller type bearing) and then as you chisel it, the outer wall will collapse inward, this will effectively release the bearings grip in your swing arm.