Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RickB420

Quiet Pipes or mufflers for yz426f

20 posts in this topic

Does anyone who makes the quietest pipes or mufflers for my yz 426? how much quieter is the stock pipe if I repack it? Any homemade silencers or ideas? I think my bike is too loud and want to quiet it up for riding around my property. :banghead::busted::D :D :D

Does anyone who makes the quietest pipes or mufflers for my yz 426? how much quieter is the stock pipe if I repack it? Any homemade silencers or ideas? I think my bike is too loud and want to quiet it up for riding around my property. :banghead::busted::D :D :D

An FMF Q2 will significantly quiet down the 426, and its probably your best bet. Repacking your silencer won't make any difference to your neighbors.

There is a product call a DB DAWG. Its a $30 insert that actually drops the db level below the Q2. The downfall is, its like having a cork in your exhaust , it completely kills the bottom end. I have one to use when I visit off-road parks that have sound requirements. On my 426 (with a FMF Titanium 4 muffler) it registers 91 db, without the db dawg, it registers right at 100.

I put the pmb end cap with silent insert on my 02 yz426 and it passed the Michigan sound test at 94.5 db.

I put the pmb end cap with silent insert on my 02 yz426 and it passed the Michigan sound test at 94.5 db.

The PMB inserts will get you thru a sound test, but only because it redirects the sound away from the meter. A fellow TT that I know has one and its just as loud with it as without it when your out riding.

I am running the fmf q4 on a street legal 450 I love it it makes plenty of power but I also have the power bomb to go with it.I have the quietest bike out of all my ridding buddies.:banghead::busted::D

The PMB inserts will get you thru a sound test, but only because it redirects the sound away from the meter. A fellow TT that I know has one and its just as loud with it as without it when your out riding.

Are you sure we’re talking about the same thing, because my bike is noticeably quieter throughout the entire rpm range, even at full throttle. I have the older version of the end cap, not the newer versions were it points the exhaust opening down towards the ground.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=13309

Are you sure we’re talking about the same thing, because my bike is noticeably quieter throughout the entire rpm range, even at full throttle. I have the older version of the end cap, not the newer versions were it points the exhaust opening down towards the ground.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=13309

His must be the newer version. It points the exhaust downward. Nice set up you have there. :banghead:

I, too have the PMB with silent insert. It is noticably, significantly quieter than stock. You can actually hear airbox intake noise!

I, too have the PMB with silent insert. It is noticably, significantly quieter than stock. You can actually hear airbox intake noise!

You don't want to go too quiet though. There's nothing better than the sound of a good thumper exhaust.

Quiet is good, great to see people being responsible!! Loud bikes cause closed riding areas.

The FMF Q is designed to give as much performance as possible while being quiet. Everything else is designed to perform best while loud with a cork-like quiet option. The cork option might give plenty of performance for you depending on your expectations, but it's going to be difficult to beat the performance per dB factor that you get from the FMF Q.

Is that a stock YZ silencer? Is there any packing in it? Where do you get the PMB endcap? That seems like a nice alternative since the Q2 is expensive.

I have a Thunder Alley pipe and this has to be the loudest thumper exhaust I've ever heard. It's a great pipe; nice power and great sound, but it's just too loud. I ride in an area where noise isn't a concern (there are tons of loud quads and bikes and all the people who live near the riding areas don't mind, most of them ride themselves) but nothing is louder than this and it attracts too much unwanted attention.

Fortunately I still have the stock YZ exhaust so I want to look into this cap.

Is that a stock YZ silencer? Is there any packing in it? Where do you get the PMB endcap? That seems like a nice alternative since the Q2 is expensive.

I have a Thunder Alley pipe and this has to be the loudest thumper exhaust I've ever heard. It's a great pipe; nice power and great sound, but it's just too loud. I ride in an area where noise isn't a concern (there are tons of loud quads and bikes and all the people who live near the riding areas don't mind, most of them ride themselves) but nothing is louder than this and it attracts too much unwanted attention.

Fortunately I still have the stock YZ exhaust so I want to look into this cap.

yes, it is the stock exhaust silencer with the stock packing. you can get the new version of the end cap at http://www.promotobillet.com/ I say newer because it seems that the version I have is no longer made, but you can still get it a denniskirk.com

hey BlueDude....say I had an `00 426 with a stock pipe....and installed one of those Promotobillet endcaps...what do you think the dbs would be? 96 or below?

hey BlueDude....say I had an `00 426 with a stock pipe....and installed one of those Promotobillet endcaps...what do you think the dbs would be? 96 or below?

When mine was tested by the DNR in Michigan, it registered 94.5-95 db

Where I ride I have to at or bellow 96 db. The FMF Q was the only way I could get my YZ426 quiet enough.

My 426 has a Thunder Alley pipe on it right now and it's too loud. I have heard it's a great pipe for bottom end power, and I love the bottom end response my bike currently has. I haven't ridden any other 426s with other pipes, so I don't know for sure what a different pipe is like, but my bike doesn't have the BK mod and there's no bog here - bottom end throttle response is very crisp and if I snap the throttle in first through fourth gear, I can't keep the front wheel on the ground. The top end response is a little flat compared to what I'm used to (KX250) but that probably has more to do with incorrect jetting.

I still have the stock pipe, so I considered getting the PMB endcaps. How do they affect performance? How are they compared to a stock YZ exhaust? I found the endcap and silent insert on the TT store for around $150 total.

I'm thinking I may be better off selling the Thunder Alley pipe and stock pipe and getting a FMF Q2 instead. How is the FMF Q2 in terms of power? How durable are they?

01 426F....not sure if you are considering the E2 or already have it, but as of I believe the 23rd, White Brothers has ceased operations. Not that their products were ever bad or anything, but its something to consider due to customer service if you are planning on making a purchase.

I am running the fmf q4 on a street legal 450 I love it it makes plenty of power but I also have the power bomb to go with it.I have the quietest bike out of all my ridding buddies.:cool::applause::busted:

How would you rate the fit/finish/quality of this setup?

After doing a lot of research I think the Q4/Powerbomb seems to be the best way to go for quiet power, without costing a fortune.

I'd like to give it a try on my '07 YZ450F. The stock exhaust is obnoxious by the end of the day, or at the end of a long race.