Tire advice

Ok done went and read every damn thread I could find in the XR section on tires.

I have a 2006 R.

80% off road / 20% on road

Now my choices are either D606 or MT21's.

My question. Of my 80% off road:

50% hardpack/rocks

50% soft deep gravel / sand (like dunes...real sand)

Now the D606's have shit for ratings from you guys in the sand. Are the MT21's any better in the sand?

from what ive read, and my personal experience with the MT21's, the pirelli's have a slight edge over the dunlops. overall.

Dude. Your asking a lot of the tire with half of your offroading being sand and the other hardpack. You are running the gamut. You will NEVER find a d/s tire that does everything well. Just buy a set and give them a try. That's half the fun of dual sports is trying to find a tire that suits you.:banghead:

I love the MT-21's. Great for hardpack and decent in the sand IMO.

Years ago, I used to run Cheng Shin C760s on my '85 XR350R, had pretty good luck with them. I put one on my son's '03 650R in '06 and rode it for a week at Taylor Park, CO. Damn thing held up pretty good, still had all the knobs at the end of the week, was still usable.

Dude. Your asking a lot of the tire with half of your offroading being sand and the other hardpack. You are running the gamut. You will NEVER find a d/s tire that does everything well. Just buy a set and give them a try. That's half the fun of dual sports is trying to find a tire that suits you.:banghead:

I love the MT-21's. Great for hardpack and decent in the sand IMO.

I know its rough the places I ride. You start out hard pack and rocks 4-5 miles in its soup gravel road and before you know it your in dunes. Then back again. Throw in a few washes for the unexpected 30mph 3-4ft straight down drop and your here!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Think I'll be ordering a set of MT-21's this round and D606's next round. No better comparison than the seat of your own pants huh?

If the MT21 or the D606 don't do it for you try the Pirelli Scorpion Pro. It's more of a soft terrain tire but is still DOT. You could consider the Kenda Trackmaster, but they tend to shred on big bikes. At least they are cheap. Perhaps forget DOT tires like creeky suggests.

I'm runnin Kenda 760's on my 650L and its great in the dirt. However, it is a bit funky on the road compared to the MT21. The Kenda is better in the rough and the Pirelli is better on the street. I have been going up muddy hills with the Kenda 760 and it just tractors right up them. The MT21 would clog up and spin on the same hills.