HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dylanr

Just Destroyed My Clutch Basket

8 posts in this topic

I had a heck of a time getting the lock nut off of my clutch, and ended up breaking the clutch basket AND center clutch hub.... idiot. now i have to decide wether or not to buy expensive aftermarket clutch parts, or go with the cheaper honda oem stuff, what do you guys think.

look on ebay, if it only broke cuz of a slip or mistake you had then there not bad parts. Try a cheap find on ebay then go from there.

OEM is the way to go. it was designed with longevity in mind.

i always use toyota parts when doing my work on toyota's. not that its the same thing, but there is a difference.

OEM is the way to go. it was designed with longevity in mind.

i always use toyota parts when doing my work on toyota's. not that its the same thing, but there is a difference.

Some of the aftermarket clutch baskets have steel inserts where the clutch discs run. These vastly outlast an aluminum OEM one.

That said I replaced my badly worn clutch basket with a not perfect ebay one for $25. Honda wanted $350 or something.

You didn't say what bike you have. If it's a 650R and you want an aftermarket basket, buy now. They will soon go out of production. They stopped making them for 600's soon after Honda production stopped.

ok, so are they cheaper than OEM?

No idea really. I'll take a guess that they are about the same at an astronomical $350! I'll take ebay...

In general I agree with you on the OEM parts. There is certainly nothing wrong with them. However, for brake rotors, pads, tires, bars, grips, chains, and sprockets I usually go aftermarket because of price.

It's time to go and load the bike and head out for the first ride of the year. :banghead:

I find that OEM is never really cheap. Honda seems to take great pride in their parts, enough so to charge an arm and a leg for them. I just finished a rebuild on an 84 XL 350, and a new piston, rings, wrist pin, clips, and gasket set ran me up to $170 for everything, and that was from Hondaparts-direct.com.

+1 for an aftermarket with steel inserts for clutch plates to ride on, but i guess that depends alot on how hard and how much your riding your bike also, for me i will try to find a nice cheapy stocker on ebay but for say a bike that i ride and race with alot i would replace with aftermarket when stocker went bad.