HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BRYANS01

First Four Stroke And It Smoks. Help.

4 posts in this topic

So Ive always been a 2 stroke person but i figured its time to make the change over. Well the other day i went and bought an 01 yz426 i figured that for the price it would be a good bike to lern the routine of taking care of a four stroke. When i went to pick the bike up it fired right up first kick and was very crisp, when i got home i washed it because the guy had just rode it the day before and didnt clean it,when i started it it was smoking and smelled like burnt oil untill it warmed up, i changed the oil and filter (oil was black and filter was covered in junk) when i started it again same thing, bike runs great exept for the smoke when cold. Looking at the motor i can tell somone has been into it before but i dont know what they did, When i bought the bike i asked the owner if he did any work to it he told me that for the past six months that he had it he only rode a few times and didnt do anything to it, but the owner before was a friend of his and took very good care of the bike.

Any help would be great

thanks alot

I had a XR that did the same thing, With that bike it was the valve guide seals. When I shut the motor off some oil from the top of the motor would leak past the seals, so when I first started it it would smoke until the oil burnt out of the cylinder. It wasn't a problem, but I sure felt like a jerk when first starting it in the loading area.

It probably wouldn't hurt to go in the top end and freshen things up a bit sometime soon. You could replace those valve stem seals while your at it.

Ya i was thinking i probly should just go through it so i know for myself how the motor is. thanks for the replys