First Four Stroke And It Smoks. Help.

So Ive always been a 2 stroke person but i figured its time to make the change over. Well the other day i went and bought an 01 yz426 i figured that for the price it would be a good bike to lern the routine of taking care of a four stroke. When i went to pike the bike up it fired right up first kick and was very crisp, when i got home i washed it because the guy had just rode it the day before and didnt clean it,when i started it it was smoking and smelled like burnt oil untill it warmed up, i changed the oil and filter (oil was black and filter was covered in junk) when i started it again same thing, bike runs great exept for the smoke when cold. Looking at the motor i can tell somone has been into it before but i dont know what they did, When i bought the bike i asked the owner if he did any work to it he tole me that for the past six months that he had it he only rode a few times and didnt do anything to it, but the owner before was a friend of his and took very good care of the bike.

Any help would be great

thanks alot

So Ive always been a 2 stroke person but i figured its time to make the change over. Well the other day i went and bought an 01 yz426 i figured that for the price it would be a good bike to lern the routine of taking care of a four stroke. When i went to pike the bike up it fired right up first kick and was very crisp, when i got home i washed it because the guy had just rode it the day before and didnt clean it,when i started it it was smoking and smelled like burnt oil untill it warmed up, i changed the oil and filter (oil was black and filter was covered in junk) when i started it again same thing, bike runs great exept for the smoke when cold. Looking at the motor i can tell somone has been into it before but i dont know what they did, When i bought the bike i asked the owner if he did any work to it he tole me that for the past six months that he had it he only rode a few times and didnt do anything to it, but the owner before was a friend of his and took very good care of the bike.

Any help would be great

thanks alot

I could be a few different things. I would first start with checking the piston and rings. If they seem worn like I believe they are replace the piston and rings and of course new gaskets. I would then check the valve clearance. The Yamis run a long time but do require the unavoidable maintenance.