HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveON

Front fork alignment?

3 posts in this topic

I finally got my NX650 back on the road. Yesterday I noticed the upper and lower fork clamps are way out of alignment causing the front wheel to point slightly to the right. Doesn't seem to effect the handling of the bike but I'd like to get it back straight. I've never had to mess with that part of a bike before. I'm guessing all I have to do is loosen up the bolts on both the top and bottom fork clamps and simply allign the two so the front wheel is straight? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,

SteveON

I finally got my NX650 back on the road. Yesterday I noticed the upper and lower fork clamps are way out of alignment causing the front wheel to point slightly to the right. Doesn't seem to effect the handling of the bike but I'd like to get it back straight. I've never had to mess with that part of a bike before. I'm guessing all I have to do is loosen up the bolts on both the top and bottom fork clamps and simply allign the two so the front wheel is straight? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,

SteveON

no pretty simple job, just dont let the tubes slip up or down in the clamps.

Actually, there is a procedure for 'setting' a front wheel in the forks and clamps, so they sit staight, and the disc doesn't rub:

1. get the fork tubes exactly the same height in the top clamps (this is very important to saftey, and the life of the forks). Tighten.

2. Loosen the axle nut side of the fork, the part that clamps the axle (not the axel nut). Tighten the Axle nut once this has been done.

3. Get on the bike and pump the forks up and down with the front brake on. Do it aggressively.

4. Tighten the axle clamps back up.