1999 yz400f

Hi, I am new to forum (first post) but not new to dirtbikes. I have been looking for a new bike because i've been out of the scene for a few years (6 or so) I am 25 ~ 210 lb and 6'2" and am looking for a good size bike that is reliable. I am having trouble deciding between 2t and 4t and sizes

I found a 1999 yz400f for sale for $1500. It has aftermarket exhaust, handlebars, and sprokets. However the owner said it needs a head gasket and that it leaks water. He said he would have his mechanic fix it and still sell it for 1500. Is this bike worth looking at or should i steer clear? I am somewhat handy with tools. I've done a lot of work on cars (engine, suspension, etc) and a little work on motorcycles but never any engine work on a dirtbike. Any advice?

-Jared

here are a couple other options:

http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/518454764.html

http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/512436526.html

The only draw back to a leaking headgasket, assuming that it is leaking internally, is that it might have accumulated some moisture in the cylinder or the bottom end.

Anywhere from a few hundred to fix or 2 grand (in parts) it's hard to say untill it's apart.

1500 seems high if the bike has some problems....

i tried to sell my 99 yz400f abd i could sell it 4 1500 or maybe im just not patient but it was on craglist for 2 weeks

still want to sell it? or did you?

Hi, I am new to forum (first post) but not new to dirtbikes. I have been looking for a new bike because i've been out of the scene for a few years (6 or so) I am 25 ~ 210 lb and 6'2" and am looking for a good size bike that is reliable. I am having trouble deciding between 2t and 4t and sizes

I found a 1999 yz400f for sale for $1500. It has aftermarket exhaust, handlebars, and sprokets. However the owner said it needs a head gasket and that it leaks water. He said he would have his mechanic fix it and still sell it for 1500. Is this bike worth looking at or should i steer clear? I am somewhat handy with tools. I've done a lot of work on cars (engine, suspension, etc) and a little work on motorcycles but never any engine work on a dirtbike. Any advice?

-Jared

here are a couple other options:

http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/518454764.html

http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/512436526.html

One thing I have learned about dirtbikes and trucks. Always try to buy new, because people abuse them. The problem with a 4t is that the maintenance is more $$$. 2t are cheaper to rebuild. I would try to find a 4t a couple of years old that hasn't been raced. It is a buyers market. If you need to be on a budget(1K-1.5K) find nice 2t that hasn't been abused. I will tell you that I used to be a die hard 2 stroker but the new 4t's are the heat. I will never return to a two smoker. Hope this helps and Happy New Year!:banghead: Oh yeah stay clear of the leaking one.

still want to sell it? or did you?

nope shes still for sale

I disagree with Wes Woodin regarding the purchasing of Race bikes. IMHO, it's the non-racers that hammer their machines with little regard for maintanence or cleanliness. Most racers are diligant with maint. and always know exactly what's going on with the machine. Most racers also keep very good records where a lot of non-racers hardly ever remember to change the oil. I'm not saying all are like this but it just seems like this is a trend for the masses.

yamaha racing 230.... where are you located in maryland. How much are you asking for it now? It looks pretty nice. I would def be interested. It might be a few weeks yet till i get the money together. I've been looking for like 6 months now and haven't found much in my price range (poor college grad still looking for a good job). Right now i just install flooring.

Anyone need any work done?

not to hijack the thread and to stay on topic ill pm u

i bought a running yz400f for $1000 bucks