XR's Only Oil Temp Dipstick - am I an idiot?

Anyone tried soldering the joint?

Mine hasn't leaked, but if it does, solder might seal it for good.

I've had mine about 3 years, no leaks. When I first got it I reset the face--per directions--and did not have any problems.

Also, I do not have any condensation problems with mine.

After I adjusted mine so it would read correctly when it was screwed in, I tested it in boiling water with a known-good thermometer, it read accurately.

Right after I installed mine I noticed it was not going above about 160 degrees, even on a warm day. I pulled the theromstat and sure nuff, it was stuck open. The oil temp dipstick paid for itself about 20 times, right then and there.

Sorry to hear others had problems with theirs.

Anyone tried soldering the joint?

Mine hasn't leaked, but if it does, solder might seal it for good.

yet!!!

yet!!!

shutup its only the ninkompoops like you that have problems. Send em to me and ill go exchange in person AND i guarantee they wont give me some run around LOL

For those of you who have leaks...

I got some brake clean and sprayed the dipstick off real well(where the post goes into the guage). Blew it out with air, the took some Toyota FIPG and put a small amount on the point where the post goes into the guage. Making sure that it went into the guage a little. Then a thin layer maybe 1/4" in dia. around the post. Hasnt leaked since.

I'm sure any high quality silicone used in SMALL amounts would work.

For those of you who have leaks...

I got some brake clean and sprayed the dipstick off real well(where the post goes into the guage). Blew it out with air, the took some Toyota FIPG and put a small amount on the point where the post goes into the guage. Making sure that it went into the guage a little. Then a thin layer maybe 1/4" in dia. around the post. Hasnt leaked since.

I'm sure any high quality silicone used in SMALL amounts would work.

What's "Toyota FIPG"? (I'm Toyotilliterate). :D

I'm well versed in Fordnglish though. :ride:

The welding/soldering thing also sounds like a possible fix. :eek::thumbsup:

What's "Toyota FIPG"? (I'm Toyotilliterate). :D

I'm well versed in Fordnglish though. :ride:

The welding/soldering thing also sounds like a possible fix. :eek::thumbsup:

Formed In Place Gasket. Its toyotas liquid gasket material. Really good stuff. High temp., seals any surface that has to do with any liquid.

I got my XRs only gauge to read accuratly, not fog up the display, and not leak oil. Heres a picture of the modification hope this helps.garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=56160

:thumbsup: