KNOBBY vs. KNOBBY

XR 600 R on street. IRC 130x18 motocross for soft terrain is what I have now that came on the bike when I bought it 2 mos ago.The rear seems to wear fast.When the tire has the ( DOT) dose that mean the tire has bias to stiffen the sidewalls or is the compound harder ? I ride mostly street but I like the knobbys i am not very fond of the street type. What has been the best,longest lasting for street? How about the ( TRACKMASTER ) ?

Thanks for your input guys :banghead:

Danny V

XR 600 R on street. IRC 130x18 motocross for soft terrain is what I have now that came on the bike when I bought it 2 mos ago.The rear seems to wear fast.When the tire has the ( DOT) dose that mean the tire has bias to stiffen the sidewalls or is the compound harder ? I ride mostly street but I like the knobbys i am not very fond of the street type. What has been the best,longest lasting for street? How about the ( TRACKMASTER ) ?

Thanks for your input guys :banghead:

Danny V

I have seen good wear from the Dunlop 606's. Its a good all around DOT approved off road tire, that holds up to street use. Regardless, XR's do eat up rear tires! Get use to it! :busted:

the pirelli mt-21's are the BEST (IMHO) dot knobies available. i hear they wear just a little better the=an the 606. they are also better offroad(not by much though).

my last set lasted maybe 850 miles rear, 1200 front.

phil is very correct in saying that they are tire eaters!

All the DOT sign means is that the tire was tested to meet the DOT standards. As far as I can tell many tires could qualify for DOT labeling, but the mfgs just don't bother with it.

I think that you will find that the Trackmaster rear will shred pretty quickly. It all depends on your throttle hand. Forget the Trackmaster front it sucks big time.

For a good DOT front check out Pirelli. Most, but not all of the fronts are DOT. One of the Pirelli DOT rears is also well liked. Don't remember the name at the moment though.

For what you say you are using the MT21 might be just about the best. There are other less dirt oriented tires that work better and last longer on the street.

For a inexpensive 50/50 tire check out a Kenda K270. It's not really a knobby though.

I'm running Kenda 760's front and back on my 650L with no complaints. The rear is a little agressive for the highway, but it chews up everything on the trails. As for tire life, welcome to the XR650. My new Kenda rear only has 35 miles on it and its showing signs of use. The bikes are just too torquey for super tire life.

the pirelli mt-21's are the BEST (IMHO) dot knobies available. i hear they wear just a little better the=an the 606. they are also better offroad(not by much though).

+1 on mt- 21's Better on the street than 606's,Pretty good in the dirt. Riding the MT-21's on the street up by Alice's restraunt,cornering next to GSXR's(showing them the ft wheel in the tight stuff) 95mph,Guy pull's up next to me at a stop sign and could'nt belive am on KNOBBY's,MT-21's:thumbsup:

+1 on mt- 21's Better on the street than 606's,Pretty good in the dirt. Riding the MT-21's on the street up by Alice's restraunt,cornering next to GSXR's(showing them the ft wheel in the tight stuff) 95mph,Guy pull's up next to me at a stop sign and could'nt belive am on KNOBBY's,MT-21's:thumbsup:

Hmmmm.. what could you do on a GSXR!:banghead:

Have ou guys herd of the AVON GRIPPSTER they say people that have them are happy. I see that no tire is going to live long on the Rs on the street

The most aggressive, best wear knobby DOT tire is the dunlop or Pirelli. You can get better wear on the big bikes by going with a 50-50 or 60-40, but you give up aggressive knobs. I believe the Pirelli's and dunlops are 10%on-90%off. I had the Kenda 50-50's on my L and the first shortcut over grass told the tale. Not even comparable to knobs. I switched to the Pirelli's pronto. All my DS bikes run the MT-21's with a great wear factor--for knobby's.

Dunlop 606 front and rear for me and since i got the bike ive ridden mostly (95%) street and ive put 1200 miles on the rear and its pretty worn so i figure there good for about 1300 or so on the street, AND no i dont lolly gag i pull front wheel on about all take off from stop and i ride it hard. Front will last 2 rears for sure so im gonna say 2500 for front wear. I dont know how old they were when i got the bike so it may have had 100 or so miles already on it.

how bout the cheng shin i got a rear for $30, they are kinda low profile though, look almost like a supermoto with nobbies, i got about 1500 miles out of it, not bad for $30

IMHO there is noting wrong with Cheng Shin skins. I use them exlpicitedly for the OEM trials tire look on my old XL's, they are affordable, wear well and are easy to mount. I have also used thier knobbies, on older XL's and the grip is good to excellent. Far better than the Bridgestones I have tried. Dunlop, Pierelli etc is of course top quality, but for causual trail riding etc, there is nothing wrong with cheng shins.

the kenda 50-50 is pretty good here in AZ. rode in the pines, the desert, all over AZ, and it did pretty well everywhere. even with 1500 miles on the rear of my 650R before it was stolen.

P1010062.jpg

the only real downsides I found to that tire are Mud, and when it goes flat, it is unrideable flat. gotta stop and fix it to make it a 1/4 mile. just fore warning

on the upside, at 80 bucks a pair, and good mileage, they are easy to mount/remove.