HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Art_H

Shock Sox for WR426

12 posts in this topic

Shock Sox look to be effective, and anything to help with seal longevity is good in my books. The concern I'm having is that the front fork protectors have guides that are part of the fork just above the beginning of outer fork tube. I've got a 2001 WR426 and Wr250 I want to outfit. The newer bikes seem to have a floating fork protector.

Any ideas?

Anyone running these on older Wr s?

Thanks

Art

Just remove the guides and leave them off. If you put the seal savers on the forks and try to reinstall the guides they will distort the forks and cause leaks if they are tightend with the bolt. I have used a couple of ziptys in the past to avoid this issue, but you can run the bike without any guides with no problems. WR Dave

Thanks WR Dave,

What about the newer style brake line routing, where there is a clamp on the protector? Can the older style routing be upgraded to the new style? Would I then use brake lines from the newer WR?

Thanks

Art

When I upgraded my WR426 I just installed on of those "P" shaped frame clamps with rubber inside and bolted it to the fork guard. I believe you would be fine with a new WR cable. WR Dave.

WR Dave, Thanks again for your time and knowledge. I don't really want to go with the stock WR426 front brake line. The reason I want to change it is because the one i have is swelling really badly and I have very spongy feel. So Teflon stainless braid here I come. I just can't believe that there is no one that makes a stainless braid front brake line for the WR426....

Any ideas gentlemen???

Art

http://www.russellperformance.com/motorcycle/dl/07RussMetricCat.pdf

Try the link above and open the PDF file . They have the listing for the WR's on page 13 of the catalog. I would call them to see if you could use the newer WR brake hose ( ends the same? ). This would give you a much shorter front cable and alot better front brakes. Anyway your call. :banghead: WR Dave.

[...] If you put the seal savers on the forks and try to reinstall the guides they will distort the forks and cause leaks if they are tightend with the bolt. [...]

Dave are you nuts? I have Seal Savers on mine with the fork guard guides installed over them. If you're going to try to tell me that the plastic ring that makes up that guard is going to "distort" the cast aluminum fork upper then you're off your rocker. If the forks were that weak Yamaha would have a lot more to worry about.

Normally I value your opinion and regard you as one of the wiser posters here but this one is a little off.

I can post a photo of the setup as it is if anyone is interested.

Hey Solo, before you slash me to bits realize that Art has a 2001 WR 426 and they used a bolted on fork guard guide and I do know what I'm talking about from experience on a friends WR. Sorry to disappoint but this is a real situation. He bolted the guide back on over the seal savers and in order to get the bolt to go together he had to force the connection(ovaling the outer tube) and it leaked almost immediately, after we removed the bolt and just ty-strapped the guide on, it quit leaking. I know the newer guides just have the spring clip but that wasn't always the way it was done. I appreciate that you sometimes value my humble opinion. :banghead: 15 year WR owner .---WR Dave.

I used the Ride Engineering kit on my 01 wr426. It routes the line cr style and it includes an aluminum clamp that attaches to the fork leg protector. You actually have to cut off the part of the procector guide that goes on the outside of the protector. I have cut them all off anyway so they don't eat up the graphics on the fork guards. I don't have any pics though.

Hey Solo, before you slash me to bits realize that Art has a 2001 WR 426 and they used a bolted on fork guard guide and I do know what I'm talking about from experience on a friends WR. Sorry to disappoint but this is a real situation. He bolted the guide back on over the seal savers and in order to get the bolt to go together he had to force the connection(ovaling the outer tube) and it leaked almost immediately, after we removed the bolt and just ty-strapped the guide on, it quit leaking. I know the newer guides just have the spring clip but that wasn't always the way it was done. I appreciate that you sometimes value my humble opinion. :banghead: 15 year WR owner .---WR Dave.

Dave, I wont argue that the situation did not occur. I wasn't there and you were. I would only like to go on record as saying I doubt that the seal saver was the only cause for the issue. It is not my intent to slash anyone to bits, I just think your theory on this one is a bit off. I would never attack you personally and I hope that you did not take it that way.

As for the bike- a simple view of my garage would have revealed that my bike is a 2000 WR400F. As if my screen name wasn't a bit of a clue. My bike has the same guides as the 426 and has Seal Saver brand wraps on the forks with the guides installed. Never had any problems with the setup. Photo attached.

CIMG1030.JPG

What I did to get the fork guard guides back on without putting too much pressure on the forks, is I went to Home Depot and got longer bolts.

Your right the other problem was a guy with little mechanical apttiude, no offense taken Solo, I'm just saying that my buddy got the original screw started somehow and with the savers underneath he tightend them till they were in almost the same position they were before and distorted the fork tube. Just trying to make sure someone else doesn't make the same mistake. Happy New Year -- WR Dave.