Dr.D pipe

Great thread with lots of good information. I have been lurking on this site for a long time. Just picked up my new 07 WR450 yesterday. Took it for a putt around the neighborhood and I am a bit disappointed. I knew it would be down on power after reseaching on this site but, I didn't expect it to be that bad. My YZ400F was WAY faster than this. The WR is sweet other than the stock tuning.

Anyway a pipe is going to be my first purchase (along with the other mods listed on this site). The bike is LEAN out of the box so, the person that posted that, is 100% correct. It is so lean I won't ride it again until I get it dialed in. The pipe was glowing red and it actually ran better with the choke partially on (both signs of a lean condition). You can feel the bikes power is choked up bad. It is also true that a more free flowing exhaust will require a jetting change (richer).

I planned on buying a slip-on originally but, it looks like the Dr D full system is the was to go. Does the fact there is no heat shield cause any problems for any of you? (burned boots/pants, etc...) Not a big deal I can weld stand-offs and install heat shields if needed.

Just to make sure, you do know there is a throttle stop that only allows for a half throttle. This would explain the lack of power. Again, just checking.:banghead:

...Just picked up my new 07 WR450 yesterday. Took it for a putt around the neighborhood and I am a bit disappointed...

Anyway a pipe is going to be my first purchase (along with the other mods listed on this site). The bike is LEAN out of the box...

The pipe was glowing red...

I planned on buying a slip-on originally but, it looks like the Dr D full system is the was to go...

Hi camaroman7d.

Congrats on to you on your purty blue thumper!:banghead: It runs like a 100 out of the box. You need to let the lady breath and change/cut the throttle stop. Open up the air box, rejet the carb (the carb is a PITA to access BTW...:busted: ), I'd say remove the pea shooter in the muffler insert but your throw'n down for the Dr D...sweet!:ride: She will rip when you're done!:D

Be sure to set your sag if you have not already done so. If you weigh more than 170lbs. you'll likely need to replace you rear spring with a stiffer one. I installed a Works Connection 5.6kg/mm spring (205lbs with gear) and my sag settings are perfect. The WC spring and the stock springs weigh exactly the same...4lbs. so no worries about extra weight.

Ride on big blue!

-Jay

Kenshaw720, The firt thing I noticed was that the throttle was restricted. I just read all the 07 WR Mods and I will be buying a YZ screw today if my dealer has it.

Jay, I need to re-spring the bike I am 230lbs without gear. I guess a good time to do it is while I am in there working on the carb. Thanks for the input.

Thanks to the person that listed the place to buy the Dr. D (quality smart) I ordered mine $437 delivered with quiet insert. Wasn't sure if I needed the quiet insert but, I have to have the spark arrestor and it wasn't clear wether that was part of the quiet insert or not.

Jay, I need to re-spring the bike I am 230lbs without gear. I guess a good time to do it is while I am in there working on the carb. Thanks for the input.

Wasn't sure if I needed the quiet insert but, I have to have the spark arrestor and it wasn't clear whether that was part of the quiet insert or not.

Hi camaroman7d.

Go to www.racetech.com to get the correct spring rates for your weight. Add 15lbs. for gear...so your total is 245lbs. Use this figure to select the correct spring.

Changing the spring is very easy and doing the carb work at the same time is perfect. At your weight, the forks will probably need attention as well. Since your making the mods, you may as well do it right and fix the forks now rather than later.:banghead:

The quiet insert keeps the dB's at around 94...nice and neighborly. You don't need it but, it's nice to be quiet. Be sure to jet the carb with the quiet insert since it is more restrictive than running without it.

-Jay

Jay,

I was just reading up on the WR suspension and I will probably just pull it off and take it to Dicks Racing (they are in driving distance) and have them get the suspension right. Thanks for the heads up on the jetting with the quiet insert. Hopefully they will send some paperwork with the pipe to get me in the ballpark. I was assuming the quiet insert was an additional and optional part for the pipe (removeable). Sometimes that's what you get when you make assumptions. Quiet is good as long as it doesn't cost me much power.

Question for all you WR gurus... Will the 07 WR450 JD jet kit work on a 08 WR450?

Jay,

I was just reading up on the WR suspension and I will probably just pull it off and take it to Dicks Racing (they are in driving distance) and have them get the suspension right. Thanks for the heads up on the jetting with the quiet insert. Hopefully they will send some paperwork with the pipe to get me in the ballpark. I was assuming the quiet insert was an additional and optional part for the pipe (removeable). Sometimes that's what you get when you make assumptions. Quiet is good as long as it doesn't cost me much power.

Yeppers...the quiet insert is optional. You can run with just the muffler...muffler with spark arrestor only...muffler with spark arrestor and quiet insert...and (someone correct me if I'm wrong here...) muffler with quiet insert and no spark arrestor.

If you have the wallet then by all means save your knuckles and let a shop take care of the work.:banghead:

My Dr D was backordered for a few days...it's supposed to ship directly from Dubach Racing tomorrow. I'm all in a waggle.:busted:

-Jay

Jay,

Did you order your pipe from the same place (quality smart or whatever it's called)? Thanks for the info about the exhaust inserts. As far as the suspension, it's not a money thing. I always do my own work (take a look at the link in my signature), if it was just a spring change I would do it myself but, I think a revalve is needed too. Maybe I better start a new thread about that instead of hijacking.

Question for all you WR gurus... Will the 07 WR450 JD jet kit work on a 08 WR450?

JD jet kit should work, I think the '08 is just a BNG upgrade to the '07, everything for the '07 should fit the '08. WR Dave

Jay,

Did you order your pipe from the same place (quality smart or whatever it's called)? Thanks for the info about the exhaust inserts. As far as the suspension, it's not a money thing. I always do my own work (take a look at the link in my signature), if it was just a spring change I would do it myself but, I think a revalve is needed too. Maybe I better start a new thread about that instead of hijacking.

Hi camaroman7d.

Yes...I ordered my Dr D from Quality Smart. I was a little miffed by the backorder...I sent a testy e-mail to the Quality Smart guy...Matt (he's a good guy and was just as frustrated by the backorder) and he responded immediately.

It's supposed to ship today.

-Jay

JD jet kit should work, I think the '08 is just a BNG upgrade to the '07, everything for the '07 should fit the '08. WR Dave

Hi all.......I am new here and I just bought an 08 Dec 29, .....they told me the ONLY difference fron the 07 and 08 are that the 08's side cases are coated black.............everything else is the same.......the only thing I have done to mine is pull the air box snorkle and the pipe restricter.....I want a new pipe but have no idea where to begin......I came off a 1999 YZ 250 and love to HEAR the bike when I ride.......so I am looking for more free flow, power, and noise......but it has to have a spark arestor for the Calif scene....any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated...........and so far I LOVE the bike........

Jay, I hope the backorder issue is resolved. I didn't get any backorder notice and I really don't want to wait any longer than I need to for the pipe. I plan to start the mods today and I will want to ride as soon as I get the bike running like I think it should. Were you notified of the backorder or did you have to contact them to find out?

Jay, I hope the backorder issue is resolved. I didn't get any backorder notice and I really don't want to wait any longer than I need to for the pipe. I plan to start the mods today and I will want to ride as soon as I get the bike running like I think it should. Were you notified of the backorder or did you have to contact them to find out?

I received an e-mail from Quality Smart that it was backordered and should ship this Friday.

Check here:

Matt Wolfe

Quality Smart Inc

www.QualitySmart.com

mattw@qualitysmart.com

561-627-4956

I have the DRD Stainless/ alum full pipe on my 07. I love it. Only bummer is you have to pull it off to change the oil. Header runs right across the top bolt for the filter cover. Great power, and looks great too.

000_0047.jpg

If you put an allen key into the bolt and leave it there sticking out, align the pipe (the pipe will be resting on the Allen key) then tighten it. This will give you enough clearence to get the bolt and cover off without removing the header. I have a 08 YZ450F and I don't have this problem.

Nope, I am a machinist by trade and have looked into a solution to this problem. It is just the way the pipe was bent, and jigged up to weld. On mine the way the flange seats up to the exhaust port causes the header to wind down very low and just across the oil filter cover. There is no way at all to get to the top screw which is the longest of the 3 anyways. Maybe I'll give them a call on Mon. if nobody else is having this problem.

Nope, I am a machinist by trade and have looked into a solution to this problem. It is just the way the pipe was bent, and jigged up to weld. On mine the way the flange seats up to the exhaust port causes the header to wind down very low and just across the oil filter cover. There is no way at all to get to the top screw which is the longest of the 3 anyways. Maybe I'll give them a call on Mon. if nobody else is having this problem.

Wow...that is too wierd.:banghead:

Well...I'll know first-hand next Friday. :busted:

I'm out of town until Thursday and my Dr D system shipped out via UPS today from Dubach Racing.

I'll post up and include some photos.

-Jay

You may have gotten a "monday" pipe Devil.

It happens.

Jay post up some sound if you can.

Jay post up some sound if you can.

I very much want to do that. I have a digital video camera (JVC Everio Hard Disk Camcorder) but I have struggled with interfacing the video data with editing software.

I'll have another go at it and see what I get. Pictures with my digital camera first and then I'll shoot some video (with sound, of course:D ) and see how the editing goes. I'll post up what I get.

-Jay

Why wouldn't you guys with the intrusive head pipe either buy or fabricate a stud to replace the top oil fliter cover bolt and just use a washer and a nut to solve the problem???:banghead: And Jay that is a funny sig. WR Dave.