HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xjmoney

No run after head gasket

7 posts in this topic

2000 426. Found head gasket was blown. I tooked my head down to my local machine shop, head was ok. Replaced the head gasket and got everything back together. The only way to get my bike to start is to pull out the hot start knob on the carb. When it does start it only idles for about half a min. I took the carb apart cleaned it, set the float level and set the pilot screw as per my yamaha service manual. I dont think my cams are off, I have rechecked them and they look good. Sounds to me like I have carb problem,Any ideas?

Be sure you have the spring plate in the carb the right way up; flat edge with the hole in it goes down.

I had the float bowl and the the top cover apart only. I blew out the cicuits I could get to from there. While I was in the float bowl I found that the small idle jet was pluged. Is it possible that maybe the needle and seat is not sealing causing a rich condition during idle?

How did it run the last time you rode it...and how long did it sit since the

blown head gasket?

Compression is good, and the last time I rode it it ran strong but would overheat quickly. The bike sat about a week before the tear down and sat about 2 weeks after tear down.

Compression is good, and the last time I rode it it ran strong but would overheat quickly. The bike sat about a week before the tear down and sat about 2 weeks after tear down.

What were the symptoms of the blown head gasket? Was it just the quick overheating or were there other signs? I am trying to figure out what is causing my overheating issue...:ride: