HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coonass400

Paint Flaking off inside cylinder head...Anything Serious?

5 posts in this topic

How is it going everybody? Been a while since I've been around. While I was cleaning up the head with carb cleaner, I noticed silver paint coming off inside the head! It seems the carb cleaner ate it right off! Is this serious or should I just have the shop soda blast the rest out of head when they do the valve springs? I searched and found nothing on this paint, any help is greatly appreciated... Also, how hard is changing the valve springs on my own?:banghead:

I haven't been riding for a while so I decided to freshen up my 1999 YZ400F. I repainted the frame and am in the process of doing a top end job. I must say, I took care of this bike in the past but rode pretty hard. After opening her up for the first time, she still looks like new after 9 years! Amazing!!! I could of probably kept riding as it was but needed to do the preventive maintenance, fearing I would blow something up soon:crazy:

Well, Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays, whichever suits...:busted:

It doesn't look like carbon at all. What I probably should say is that it is peeling from where the cams sit, at the top of the head, not the combustion chamber. It is silver, it is also peeling up from the cam chain tunnel. Just wondering if anybody else had encountered this before. Thanks Gray!

It doesn't look like carbon at all. What I probably should say is that it is peeling from where the cams sit, at the top of the head, not the combustion chamber. It is silver, it is also peeling up from the cam chain tunnel. Just wondering if anybody else had encountered this before. Thanks Gray!

How about some pictures?