HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stvmoto

Is tall gearing and hillclimbing bad for your clutch?

8 posts in this topic

Just curious what puts more strain on the clutch, tall or low gearing when hillclimbing:excuseme:

Also if your climbing a steep hill and the bike starts to bog and you miss your downshift can this hurt your clutch?

I bet you guessed I must of fried my clutch:foul:

I am also interested in this as I run paddles.

The inference is that for hill climbing you may need a heavy duty clutch?

Is a clutch more likely to slip in first gear, or in 5th, do you think?

There's your answer. (high gearing is harder on the clutch) Doesn't really matter, though, because you have to gear it for the job at hand, right?

hillclimbing is just hard on your bike, period. no way around it..you just have to buy a heavy duty clutch like a hinson if you want your clutch to lastlonger if you hillclimb.

we have a freind with a cr500 hillclimber bike and alot of engine mods and he reuses the oem clutch but goes through one every season if not twice per season.

hillclimbing is just hard on your bike, period. no way around it..you just have to buy a heavy duty clutch like a hinson if you want your clutch to lastlonger if you hillclimb.

we have a freind with a cr500 hillclimber bike and alot of engine mods and he reuses the oem clutch but goes through one every season if not twice per season.

AGREED hillclimbing is hard on your bike both times I fried my clutch it was up a steep hill and I missed my downshift

AGREED hillclimbing is hard on your bike both times I fried my clutch it was up a steep hill and I missed my downshift

If it wasn't so much fun, you would put me off hillclimbing (in my case dune climbing) but it is fun. Especially roosting the local guys on their banshees on the dune... :busted::D

Well when my clutch goes I'll know why, but so far so good..:banghead:

Never had any issues with my clutch... other than the lever.

Oh and the plastic...sub frame it's brutal on that to.

It is not the hills, the tires or the gearing that frys clutches......although more drag to get power to the ground will add more wear eventually

It is how all of you use the clutch and how much drag you put on it each launch........