Made a BooBoo - Mixed Oil Weights

I changed my oil tonight and after I was done pouring in 2 quarts, I realized that I had used 10w40 & 20w50...don't ask. Will this fly or should I drain it? I'm going on a 3+hr trip tomorrow and don't want to have any problems. Thanks

---------

'00 XR650L

Oh my God! Drain it out fast!

Kidding.:banghead: No worries, just ride it.

Now you have 15-45!

Can't see where it would cause any problem, especially if they're the same brand. Having said that, I personally would replace it with two quarts of what I originally intended to put in. Then again, I've been told I obsess over small things:crazy:

is okay, rideit and drain at your next interval - of course if you want you can drain it now and refill with same weights, would be a nice flush... ;-)

I think your fine to the next interval. I put 30W pennzoil in one of my old XL250's one time along with Castrol 20-50, don't ask how, just a dumb moment....they seem to be coming more frequently now...

Sounds good...I'm gonna ride this piss out of it! Thanks

Maybe only reason i would drain is if it were dead middle of summer and hot, but winter temps EVEN in FL arent gonna be a problem for ya Enjoy your ride.

Mixing is no factor. People do it all the time to try to come up with an ideal oil weight.

Yeah, no worries - just ride the thing. If it's quality oil, you'll have no issues.

Just a question I'm curious about. What if you mix conventional and synthetic?

you'll turn your XR into a moped.

you'll turn your XR into a moped.

hahahha!:banghead:

They mix no problem.

this is a NO NO!

one of the very first things i learned at UTI 14 yrs ago was this in engine class

you CAN mix oil weights. It is not recomended to do this with different brands though. Lastly, NEVER mix synth. and dino. oils.

rich

this is a NO NO!

one of the very first things i learned at UTI 14 yrs ago was this in engine class

you CAN mix oil weights. It is not recomended to do this with different brands though. Lastly, NEVER mix synth. and dino. oils.

rich

Yeah, this can cause immediate breakdown of the Linkites in synthetic oil, creating a non-lubricating goo. Semi-synthetics use a less corrosive based dino oil mix.

I have been told that if you do change from synthetic to dino, you should run some high-detergent oil like Valvoline for a bit first, or a very quick flush with kerosene. I don't know if that is still applicable with new motors......

Yeah, this can cause immediate breakdown of the Linkites in synthetic oil, creating a non-lubricating goo. Semi-synthetics use a less corrosive based dino oil mix.

I have been told that if you do change from synthetic to dino, you should run some high-detergent oil like Valvoline for a bit first, or a very quick flush with kerosene. I don't know if that is still applicable with new motors......

kerosene works as a flush pretty well. i prefer a mix of ATF/conventional oil.

diesel works for flushing too... don't they make synthetic/dino blends, I thought I have seen them?