k&n

do i need to jet if i install a k&N AIR FILTER

I personally have had bad results with the K&N: I got fine dust in my intake boot, no matter how I serviced the filter. It also has a less suface area than the Foam filters.

I went to a UNI.

if thats all you do, no. with free flowing exhaust, yes. i also dont recomend K&N. they let too much fine particulate through IMHO. i like UNI foam 2 stage filters.

I had a K&N on my 650L and I agree, there was fine dust in the engine side of the intake boot. I just switched to a Twin Air foam filter and it seems more protective.

I'm just not a "fan" of the way the UNI fits into the airbox.

on the L, it fits ok. you just have to use the sealing grease around the base.

i know one thing, even with the fit of the k&n being a little better, the uni still filters betters and still flows well. no dirt on the inside surface of the intake.

The Twin Air filter I have seals better than the K&N and it has a 2 stage foam element like the UNI. I'll try to get a pic up.

The Twin Air filter I have seals better than the K&N and it has a 2 stage foam element like the UNI. I'll try to get a pic up.

you ride L or R?

Here's a pic of the Twin Air filter in my 650L. The filter is 2 stage, has a rigid plastic skeleton inside and has a very tight fit to the airbox, no grease needed. And no, my bike NEVER gets cleaned. :banghead:

IMG_0978.jpg

i thought this is what an airbox is supposed to look like!

100_7567.jpg

i thought this is what an airbox is supposed to look like!

Sorry Martinfan, the pod filter you use is not really the best choice up here in the wet northwest washington area. If you drop your bike in the mud/water, the airbox affords some protection.

ya i hear ya. im actually thinking of putting the airbox back together and putting the battery under the seat. a crf450x battery is smaller and will crank a 650 over with a hi comp piston no prob.

UNI or Twin air there both good and you can use grease on sealing surface its just a little more help to make sure you dont have something get through, its does no harm at all only a little insurance.

Don't do it man.

Step away from the K&N.

With all due respect,Your not going to like dirt getting in your engine either.I was going to put one on my XRL,but everyone talked me out of it.I had a K&N on my Mustang,and fine dust passes right thru.

The Uni and Twin Air filters are much better filters for a bike.

Just my and others $0.02

although i do some dirt, most of my ridding is back and forth to work on pavement. Im new to this whole thing and appreciate all the advice.

i wouldnt use one if even just a little riding is done on dirt.