HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amcdaniel

Oil Drain Plug rounded can't get off

8 posts in this topic

OK so just went with the 51 tooth sprocket and longer chain, will order a new smaller sprocket after XMas, at least me wheelies should be easier till then.

No the problem I have now is the drain plug bolt has being completely destroyed by the last owner, it is completely rounded and wont move.

I have filled 2 sides as flat as possible and tried using a vice grips but it just rounds off again. The only thing I can think off is to weld a bolt onto it and try that, anyone know is it aluminium or steel bolt.

Anyone have any other ideas I could try or a easy way to drain with out taking the bolt out as I won't be able to get the welding done for another 2 weeks.

Thanks

Andrew

Try a small pipe wrench or "Stilsons"

Ordinary vice grips flex too much.

Or drill out the plug and use ezy- outs .

use a dremal cut a slit for a screwdriver dont go too deep abuut 1/8 inch so metal dont get inside. use a big screwdriver hope it works'' ps do it when bike is hot''

The slot in the head is a good idea. Try tapping the screwdiver, on the end, with a hammer while trying to turn it. Sometimes the shock will help knock it loose. I had this same thing happen to the Warrior I bought the ol' lady, the oil drain plug head was completely stripped and I couldn't get any tool to stay on to loosen it. So I tried something different. I used a hammer & chisel and came from the side. First, I chiseled straight into the bolt, from the side, a little then angled it so it would move counter-clockwise. About 5 good swings into it and wallah, it was loose. Hope this helps. :banghead:

Thanks guys, tried the dremmel idea, unfortunately the it was so badly damaged when I applied the pressure to turn it, 2 of the sides just sheered off, so will try the cheisel and see if that works. Thanks guys

Are you serious? TT now has spell check. :banghead:

Dead serious. What does "wallah" mean (unless you meant voilà)?