Xl600R/XR650L Hybrid

Do tell...!!!

M.

Hey Manos, how ya doin'?

I haven't done anything to speak of on the ol' girl. What I have done is remove the engine and get it on the bench. lol.

Whenever I think I'm going to get going on it again, some other project seems to pop up. Hopefully sometime this winter I'll make some progress.

I have an idea what direction I wanna take this thing but I don't want to say quite yet because I have a habit of changing my mind often. :excuseme:

What's new with you?

Hey everyone. I know it's been a long time but I THINK I'm gonna start moving forward on this thing.

I have an idea what direction I wanna go now, sooooooo..... let's see what happens...

:lol:What?! You drop a new post in here once a year to keep us guessing? Give us some details man! If I had something on the bench for a year, I wouldn't have half the parts left to put it back together.

Hey zrxer,

Nice to see you are back on track with this project - or, are you?

I'll second what ThumpNRed said. Do tell more!!!

I'm alright. I solved the starting problem. I don't recall posting about it, but it was a freaky thing...

The bike is still at my mechanic's. It has been there for the better part of three months now but I work 12-14hrs/day and I literally don't have the time to go pick it up. Sad really...

And Happy New Year to ALL!!!!!!!

M.

good deal !! the Hybrid, may fly at last.

Okay! Okay! LOL!

I'm glad you guys are interested. It helps me to continue the saga. :excuseme:

I'm kinda thinking of taking it in a motard direction (I know, I know, real original) but I'm not totally sold on that idea yet.

I am for sure, going to upgrade the suspension and brakes. Whether I use the XRL stuff I have now or maybe some USD forks,,,don't know yet.

Gonna sh!tcan the e-start. I have no problems kick starting. Be less weight anyhow. I'm sending the head to XRider from ADVrider for port work as well as opening up and blending the combustion chamber,,,hopefully helping with the detonation issue.

Gotta pull the bottom end apart to install the kick start. Or, I may pull all the internals from the L bottom end and stuff them in the original main cases from the bike. That way, the frame and engine numbers would match.

Anyway, no matter what I end up doing, I want this thing to look like an '84 XL600R when I'm done, which means it will be adorned in the factory colors, either in paint or powdercoat.

The biggest thing right now is money. I've been on unenjoyment more than working as of late and 2011 doesn't look much better. We'll see.

Just gotta keep my faith in God that I'll make it through.

Thanks again for your guys interest. I'll get some current pics up shortly.

I'm kinda thinking of taking it in a motard direction

Noooooooo :lol: (unless you are gonna take it to the track)

maybe some USD forks

Arrggghhh (unless you can do it right with OEM keyed ignition and steering lock.) IMO if you could find a way to limit XR650L fork travel to keep the height down, those forks are still better than the OEM XL forks over more diverse terrain and you could easily keep the lock and key.

Gonna sh!tcan the e-start.

Horray!!!!:busted: Once the bike is running it is just extra weight and requires a larger battery.

I'm sending the head to XRider from ADVrider for port work as well as opening up and blending the combustion chamber,

Super!:busted:

I want this thing to look like an '84 XL600R when I'm done,

Fantastic. This also goes back to the XRL suspension comment.

My opinion is obviously different from the majority, but I think Honda should have just upgraded the XL600R with better suspension, rear disc and aluminum swingarm (while keeping the cush drive like Suzuki did with the DR650). The XL600R came out before the XR600R and is obviously a purpose built dual sport where the XR650L is a conglomeration of parts with a obviously dirt orientated frame(XR600R) which means it needs that tumor attached to the left rear. The XL600R engine and dual carb setup is more powerful, smoother and gets better mpg than the XR650L.

The XR650L is a good bike, just should have been more purpose built as a dual sport. I own both, it is not a blind opionion.

Great, great, great, that you are going a upgraded direction with the XL. It is your bike, these are just my opionions, I look foward to seeing what you come up with.:excuseme:

Happy New Year!!

Alright, I dug everything out of storage and did some stuff.

Reinstalled the XRL rear suspension assembly using the XL600 shock.

xl600redo004.jpg

xl600redo001.jpg

So far, everything is a bolt-on. I just have to get a spacer made for the one knuckle bolt.

xl600redo002.jpg

Kinda got the brake master cylinder and bracket positioned where it needs to be.

xl600redo003.jpg

You are gonna repaint the frame.... arent you?:excuseme:

Happy New Year!!

Alright, I dug everything out of storage and did some stuff.

Reinstalled the XRL rear suspension assembly using the XL600 shock.

xl600redo003.jpg

Hey Bruce......you are gonna need at least 2 sip-ties on that master cylinder to hold well.........you know that.....right?????????

:excuseme:

B

You are gonna repaint the frame.... arent you?:busted:

Absolutely! Either paint or powdercoat.

I'm just doing mock-up now so as to get what ever fabbing needs to be done to the frame done, so I can start prettying 'er up. :excuseme:

Then, I'll continue to the suspension, wheels, etc. etc. so on and so forth.

Hey Bruce......you are gonna need at least 2 sip-ties on that master cylinder to hold well.........you know that.....right?????????

:excuseme:

B

Nah. I'll carry a pack with me so if this one DOES break, I'll have some for road side repair. :busted:

Absolutely! Either paint or powdercoat.

I'm just doing mock-up now so as to get what ever fabbing needs to be done to the frame done, so I can start prettying 'er up. :excuseme:

Then, I'll continue to the suspension, wheels, etc. etc. so on and so forth.

Just checkin:thumbsup:

Making a little progress. Got the rear brake actuating assembly tacked into place. Still need to weld a little tab or something on for the return spring to attatch to. Also need to figure out where I'm gonna hang the reservore.

Please ignore the boogery welds. B) I'll be taking this thing to work for my boss' son to put some nice welds on. :smirk:

XL600BrakeFab001.jpg

XL600BrakeFab002.jpg

Hay that is LQQKing Good, just keep going !!!!

I know you guys will find it hard to believe, but I AM making some progress on this thing. :busted:

Franken bike! :busted:

Franken bike! :busted:

Not to me, those are upgrades... :busted:

zrxer: show us some up to date pic's

zrxer: show us some up to date pic's

I don't really have anything new to pass on as far as pics go. The frame is almost ready for the powdercoater but I'm waiting on a different shock and front end I bought off of ebay to get here and test fit first. :busted:

Okay, a few pics.

026.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

025.jpg

024.jpg

The front end is '93 CR500. The swingarm is '07 XR650L. And the shock is '88 XR600.

The shock has a remote reservoir I'm going to relocate to the left rear frame tube where the tool kit would normally be.

Any of you guys know if it matters which way its mounted?