HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Astroman

Shims for New Cam YZ426f

5 posts in this topic

Im going to install the new YZ450F cam on my 426 this weekend and i need to know what size shims i might need so i can get them for the weekend.

tks.

The problem with the question is that we don't know if you have ever adjusted the valve clearances, or what shims are currently in there. Doesn't really matter though, IMO.

I would do the cam swap and then check valve clearances. That is the only way to ensure that you get just what you need and avoid excessive trips to the shop. Otherwise, you are only guessing as to the shims that you may need.

There is no way to know, short of buying a handful of different sizes. First, you don't know what you currently have under the lifters, and second, no one has any idea what the clearance will be when you get the cam seated.

I suggest that you start this project after your next ride instead, but if you go to a Honda dealer and ask for shims for a CRF450, they will probably have what you need in stock.

The problem with the question is that we don't know if you have ever adjusted the valve clearances, or what shims are currently in there. Doesn't really matter though, IMO.

I would do the cam swap and then check valve clearances. That is the only way to ensure that you get just what you need and avoid excessive trips to the shop. Otherwise, you are only guessing as to the shims that you may need.

Previous owner adjusted before i just got the bike and i m doing the exhaust cam mod...

tks