08 Yz478 Pics

whats the point of a big bore??? not to be a dick or anything but you probably cannot ride the 450 to its full potential... yeah yeah i know we already discussed about a bikes "POTENTIAL" but still? just a thought i had. :busted:

Well, I guess there is no point really. My question to you would be why not? If I can afford it, and I enjoy trying different things, then why not? This is my 3rd 4-stroke and the 1st one that I have done anything to the motor on, who knows maybe I will hate it and put it back to stock. Right now with the whole 1.5 hrs. that I have on it, I am really liking the way it pulls off the bottom. I only ride and race for fun. For me tinkering with the bike is part of that fun.:banghead:

I'm amazed, nice looking YZF :banghead:

whats the point of a big bore??? not to be a dick or anything but you probably cannot ride the 450 to its full potential... yeah yeah i know we already discussed about a bikes "POTENTIAL" but still? just a thought i had. :banghead:
What's the point of a CR500? What's the point of an XR650?

There are two ways to get at any certain level of power output. One is to take a smaller engine and crank the revs out of it, and the other is to make the engine bigger and just let things take the obvious, natural course. The difference is that the bigger engine will produce that power at much lower speeds than the smaller. It may also be able to rev well, but it isn't necessary. For a motorcycle ridden mostly just for the sheer joy of it, low end muscle is usually more enjoyable then shrieking top end revs. Of course, that depends to some extent on what you personally like, but at the same time, if you've never ridden a 4-stroke single with a displacement of 500 or 600 cc or more with a lot of flywheel, and felt the unstoppable kind of power they create while barely turning over, you don't really understand what the term "thumper" means.

How did Enzo do on the suspension?

whats the point of a big bore??? not to be a dick or anything but you probably cannot ride the 450 to its full potential... yeah yeah i know we already discussed about a bikes "POTENTIAL" but still? just a thought i had. :banghead:

And not to sound like a dick.....this is not the point. The Bigbore puts power everywhere where the stock 450 is mellower. Powerful yes but mellower. I really enjoy my BB it will spank any 450 from hole shot or in a drag race, out of corners, up hills etc.....it will however wear you out quicker the faster you try to ride it. There is no substitute for HP and guys my age that rode 500s know what I am talking about.

And for no other reason a bigbore will roost you like no other bike....pop a clutch in a loamy berm and who ever is behind you will be blinded and have a mouthful of dirt as well as stopped dead as there is no vision period for a few seconds:p

Is it necessary to change the cams, when going to a BB kit. Or will you notice enough change with just the BB kit and keeping everything else stock?

it is not necessary but it sure makes it bark even more......I have a Crower in mine

Is it necessary to change the cams, when going to a BB kit. Or will you notice enough change with just the BB kit and keeping everything else stock?

I have not run the bike without the HotCams but I like the way it runs with them.

I spent the day riding in St. George Ut. last saturday and really got a feel for the bike. I was riding with Dave Pearson, Russ Pearson, Rob Phillips and Bert Bradford. These guys are freaking nuts. We rode in places that were just ridiculous. The only thing that I might compare it to is the Last Man Standing course.

The bike needs the heavier fly wheel and the Rekluse will be perfect to go with it.

As far as using the 478 to its full potential goes, I was using everything it had hauling butt up those long sand washes. This bike is one of the fastest bikes I have ever owned or ridden (including my 03 Service Honda CR500AF that was fully modified and ported).

On a side note, Dave Pearson is not only the current National Hare and Hound Champ. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. He also is good at the BBQ with hamburgers.

i was just wondering where does this bigbore give the most power? im looking in doing a bigbore this summer but i need the bike to have good midrange and a lot of overrev..

also with a bigbore should you get a stronger crank? and will the life of the motor not be as long compaird to a stock motor..

thanks