DR.D TI/TI Pipe Alignment '08 YZ450F

Just got my TI pipe and put it on. The Dr.D pipes are shaped like a "D". Now when I put mine on I bolted up just fine, however the flat side of the pipe was not straight up and down. It almost looks like it had been bent in, but I know it's not. The lower 10mm bolt hole has the TI spacer welded on it. It appears to be too thick, which in turn rotates the pipe in a clockwise direction a couple degrees. It almost look like the wheel would would hit it when the wheel bottomed out. I put a straight edge on it and I know it won't but do these pipes line up like this. It almost appears that if you grind down the spacer it would pull the pipe outward then rotate it back counter clockwise so it would line up. Straight up and down like it should be. What do you guys think? Anybody else's pipe line up like this?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the d-shaped cans are the old style, so i doubt it will align with the 08 like it does with previous models. but i can see what you mean when you'd rather grind the space down because exhausts are expensive.

if you have the oem spacer, compare that to the dr. d spacer and if they are identical then you can work with one and if you mess it up you have a backup, if not, see if you can get a spacer through dr. d, that would be your best bet if you were to work with the spacer.

well the d-shaped cans are the old style, so i doubt it will align with the 08 like it does with previous models. but i can see what you mean when you'd rather grind the space down because exhausts are expensive.

if you have the oem spacer, compare that to the dr. d spacer and if they are identical then you can work with one and if you mess it up you have a backup, if not, see if you can get a spacer through dr. d, that would be your best bet if you were to work with the spacer.

The new DR.D pipes are D shared too. Also the TI spacers are welded on.

I just put a DR D on mine last week. Mine lines up the same way, but when I got done riding the other day, the tire did rub it slightly. I was going to try and put a washer or two between the subframe and pipe to push it out towards the number plate. Not sure if this is possible or if it will bind up to much with the other mounting location closer to the kick start.

Did your pipe go on pretty easily. Mine was really hard to get the two mounting locations to line up on the exhaust part. I left the header lose until I got all the bolts started but it seems the two locations on the exhaust are too close together.

Other than that, I love this pipe. I kicked the WB al pro II's butt. I have to sit on the bars to keep the front end down. Grin each time I roll the throttle on.

Oh, I also had to go up to a 50 PJ and one up on main. It runs great.

I just put a DR D on mine last week. Mine lines up the same way, but when I got done riding the other day, the tire did rub it slightly. I was going to try and put a washer or two between the subframe and pipe to push it out towards the number plate. Not sure if this is possible or if it will bind up to much with the other mounting location closer to the kick start.

Did your pipe go on pretty easily. Mine was really hard to get the two mounting locations to line up on the exhaust part. I left the header lose until I got all the bolts started but it seems the two locations on the exhaust are too close together.

Other than that, I love this pipe. I kicked the WB al pro II's butt. I have to sit on the bars to keep the front end down. Grin each time I roll the throttle on.

Oh, I also had to go up to a 50 PJ and one up on main. It runs great.

A washer will not work between the subframe and the pipe. That would push it further towards the tire and rotating it more clockwise. I started grinding the spacer off, making the spacer smaller, so that the bolt would pull the pipe more towards the outside, thus rotating the pipe more counterclockwise and making the pipe more straight up and down. At this point I have ground a 32nd of an inch and need to go another 32nd. I will be perfect then. Of course you will have to be careful and once your done you will have to use a tap and die set to straighten out the threads. Even if I stop right now it is much better than it was when I got the pipe.

Now when I put it on the pipe lined up perfectly and had absolutely no problems. I haven't run the bike yet but the pipe looks kick ---!

on my 08 YZ450F, the muffler actually mounts on the "outer" side of the sub-frame(top mounting bolt). i don't see how adding a spacer/washer would force the muffler towards the rear tire if it mounts on the outside.

I thought you meant the bottom sub frame bolt.

The first DRD SS system I bought had some minor fitment issues in that bores of the two mounting points on the pipe were not quite parallel, but I worked around it fairly easily. The second, newer version fit quite well. If it were me looking at something like what you describe, I'd call DRD and ask them about it. Odds are they'll send you another one, no questions asked.

I would not grind anything ...... if the pipe does not fit right send it back.

Also I thought the New DRD Pipes are rounded/oval not D shaped like the older style DRD pipes. Call DRD and talk to Erin:thumbsup:

Just called erin and told her the situation about the pipe and even told her that I ground the bottom mount down in order to rectify the problem about it not lining up. They are sending me a return authorization so I can send this pipe back and they will send me a new one. Now that's customer service. GA426 owner,...................... Great advice:worthy: The pipes are the same shape as the old ones. Thanks Again.Wes

Just called erin and told her the situation about the pipe and even told her that I ground the bottom mount down in order to rectify the problem about it not lining up. They are sending me a return authorization so I can send this pipe back and they will send me a new one. Now that's customer service. GA426 owner,...................... Great advice:worthy: The pipes are the same shape as the old ones. Thanks Again.Wes

anytime Wes - they are great to deal with :banghead:

Just got my TI pipe and put it on. The Dr.D pipes are shaped like a "D". Now when I put mine on I bolted up just fine, however the flat side of the pipe was not straight up and down. It almost looks like it had been bent in, but I know it's not. The lower 10mm bolt hole has the TI spacer welded on it. It appears to be too thick, which in turn rotates the pipe in a clockwise direction a couple degrees. It almost look like the wheel would would hit it when the wheel bottomed out. I put a straight edge on it and I know it won't but do these pipes line up like this. It almost appears that if you grind down the spacer it would pull the pipe outward then rotate it back counter clockwise so it would line up. Straight up and down like it should be. What do you guys think? Anybody else's pipe line up like this?

I find the Dr. D Pipe on my CRF to be a pain in the arse to be honest when trying to get the end piece on and off. It's just a total pain. I think this is character of this pipe on any bike since Dubach doesn't like to use clamps.