Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirtcrazy

04 YZ450F, kick starter shaft laid down..

6 posts in this topic

does anyone know if you have to remove the clutch basket to get this gear/shaft out? If so I assume there is a big nut in there, should I use a impact wrench to break it or what? I have never gone this deep in the engine.. Thanks!

If it's anything like my WR, the owners manual will soon become your best friend. I have my engine tore down and had to take it to a shop to get the driven gear behind the clutch basket removed with a specialty tool. (just to hold that piece to undo the nut)

Best of Luck!

Chris.

If it's anything like my WR, the owners manual will soon become your best friend. I have my engine tore down and had to take it to a shop to get the driven gear behind the clutch basket removed with a specialty tool. (just to hold that piece to undo the nut)

Best of Luck!

Chris.

Yes, you have to remove the clutch basket and a Big $ mistake and I can tell you from experience you need the tool to hold it in place while you tighten and loosen it:bonk:

Thanks Guys! I know I am on a slippery slope here but since the kick starter gear shaft blew the side of the engine case out I am in deep smoke anyway.. :banghead: I am planing to try to weld the piece back in place otherwise $1500 in parts.. what do I have to loose?? bikes only worth ~$3000 running..

Yes, you have to remove the clutch basket and a Big $ mistake and I can tell you from experience you need the tool to hold it in place while you tighten and loosen it:bonk:

An air impact will take the nut off no problem...you don't need a clutch basket holder. Its easier if you take off the pressure plate to get to the nut but leave all the plates in the basket....this creates drag so the inner hub doesn't spin to fast when you hit it with the impact gun.

An air impact will take the nut off no problem...you don't need a clutch basket holder. Its easier if you take off the pressure plate to get to the nut but leave all the plates in the basket....this creates drag so the inner hub doesn't spin to fast when you hit it with the impact gun.

Cool :banghead: