Modifying your seat

Before I buy a Renazaca or somthing I was thinking about cutting into the one I have and see what I can do. I read on ADVrider that an electric carving knife works well, but what about a dremel? Also, how do you reattatch the cover?

I have heard a guy use a small hole saw bit and dril a bunch of holes in the foam to make it softer

to put the cover back on i use a staple gun with 1/4in staples

I have heard a guy use a small hole saw bit and dril a bunch of holes in the foam to make it softer

to put the cover back on i use a staple gun with 1/4in staples

seen pics of that posted on another board - seems to work.

I paid a bike shop about $45 to add more foam and re-cover mine - seemed like a good deal for time saved.

Remember, for a more comfortable seat for long rides, go WIDER, not necessarily softer.

It's the narrowness not the hardness that hurts.

I got them to add about an inch of foam on each side at the widest part, then taper down towards the front and back so it curves out then in again.

Not exactly Renazco, but it made a big difference on longer road trips. Looks fine too.

I just recovered mine with an ebay "gripper" cover. Before I did it I went to our local upholstry shop and bought some of their "gel" they use in high end motorcycle seats. It was about 1/2 thick or more and very soft. I used my dremel to cut out a shape roughly 7x15 in my seat (starting just about where my balls rest most of the time). I then used a grinding tip to bore about 50 holes in the marked area to the depth I wanted...1/2 inch. Then put on the thin disk and bored out all of the material I didn't want. I used some liquid nails to glue both sides and whalla I have a gel seat.

I had an upholsterer make mine more like an MX seat.