HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GlobalWarmer

XR650R air filter cleaning

13 posts in this topic

With my other bikes I just drop the filter in a 1 gallon zip lock back and clean it without a mess. What efficient methods are you guys/girls using to clean the BRP 's filter being that it has such a difficult shape?

i use Simple Green as its strong enough to even get the grease off the sealing lip and easily cleans air filter. Use a little straight up and twice if nessecary and last cleaning/rinse i just use some dish soap then rince well with water.

i use Simple Green as its strong enough to even get the grease off the sealing lip and easily cleans air filter. Use a little straight up and twice if nessecary and last cleaning/rinse i just use some dish soap then rince well with water.

oh simple green good idea...im gona try that next cleaning, i was just useing dawn soap and a lota water.

What I'm looking for is a contained method of cleaning that long flat filter. My best idea at this point is to hit the thrift stores for a tupperware container large enough to soak it in.

i just use a bucket and you dont need soaking time. I spray the SG right on and let sit a few minutes then im cleaning it with the hose and then im inside at the kitchen sink doing last cleaning with dawn. Im prolly only 5 minutes from start to finish

oh simple green good idea...im gona try that next cleaning, i was just useing dawn soap and a lota water.

its so much faster than using dish soap only.

"No Toil" system there oil there cleaner work's pretty slick,bio degradeable.I do it in a five gal bucket(left over from constuction site) Once you use it you never go back to regular filter oil,real quick clean up.They say you can do it in the wash machine,Wife mite not go for that tho.

I have a plastic container filled with paint thinner(with lid) large enough to accommodate the filter and a metal cage(metal silverware holder) at the bottom to keep the filter suspended. That way the filter doesn't sit in dirt while it's soaking. Massage it clean and rinse with warm water. Let it dry overnight and oil with Maxima FFT. After using the paint thinner for a while I pour it though an automotive paint filter and clean out the grit and crap then reuse.

1 person likes this

I have a plastic container filled with paint thinner(with lid) large enough to accommodate the filter and a metal cage(metal silverware holder) at the bottom to keep the filter suspended. That way the filter doesn't sit in dirt while it's soaking. Massage it clean and rinse with warm water. Let it dry overnight and oil with Maxima FFT. After using the paint thinner for a while I pour it though an automotive paint filter and clean out the grit and crap then reuse.

Thanks.

not the best chemical to clean with but to each his own, i used to use gas or thinners not any more though there just to hars on the glue in the filters and your hands and dealing with them when its time to empty sucks.

I agree with the no toil , great stuff, but personally I would clean the filter with proper oil filter cleaner then wash with water & leave to dry overnight, then oil up the filter & leave to dry for couple of hours, refit & your away.