07 vs 08 steering stem

Can anyone with both years tell me if the diameter of the steering head of the frame is the same size? Scotts wont have a mount for their stabilzer till after the first of the year, I was told it was due to the difference in steering head diameter. Kinda seems like a strange thing for Yamaha to change. I want to order one for an 07 but dont want to waste $100 if it doesnt fit. Thanks for any help!!

I tried to put a Scotts damper from friends' 07 YZ450F to my new 08 last week - no way.... :banghead: sitting waiting for the good news from Scotts as I am too lazy to ride without a damper now :busted:

Kinda seems like a strange thing for Yamaha to change.
The steering head was in fact modified on the '08 models. The frame mount for the lever pin on the Scotts has to be changed to accommodate it.
I tried to put a Scotts damper from friends' 07 YZ450F to my new 08 last week - no way.... :banghead: sitting waiting for the good news from Scotts as I am too lazy to ride without a damper now :busted:

Thats what I wanted to hear. I didnt know if it was something minor that could be modified or not. IMS said they didnt have a tank out yet but the 07 tank bolted right up, I was hoping for a similar situation. I had a pretty good high speed meeting with a tree Saturday after hitting a root that I didnt see, I think my stabilizer would have prevented that but you never know.

The steering head was in fact modified on the '08 models. The frame mount for the lever pin on the Scotts has to be changed to accommodate it.

Steering head is changed....the steering stem is the same.

Steering head is changed....the steering stem is the same.

Negitive ghostrider! the steering stem is 5mm shorter this year (08). Todds, missed you at Glen Helen. What happened?

sitting waiting for the good news from Scotts as I am too lazy to ride without a damper now :banghead:

What is so good about it to dont want ride your bike without one?? does it only reduce "wubble"?

A Scotts damper reduces or eliminates almost any unwanted motion in the front end, particularly sudden, violent kick-over caused by striking objects at odd angles, and the head shake that often follows it.

What is so good about it to dont want ride your bike without one?? does it only reduce "wubble"?
A Scotts damper reduces or eliminates almost any unwanted motion in the front end, particularly sudden, violent kick-over caused by striking objects at odd angles, and the head shake that often follows it.

He just said that - as always - correct and full. And as my friend says: "I can ride the most gnarly rutted killer uphills and occasionally wipe my forehead or wave a hand to the girls now" :busted:

We ride mostly stony rutted forest trails, fire roads and on the complex uphills the damper just saves a lot of energy to continue (and enjoy) the ride... :banghead:

Negitive ghostrider! the steering stem is 5mm shorter this year (08). Todds, missed you at Glen Helen. What happened?

POSITIVE ghostrider!!!! I just changed out my triple clamps with pro circuit 22.5's that were for an 07......It already had the stem installed and i thought i would have to press the 08 stem in the lower pro circuit clamp......I matched them up and they were the same........... So I am positive! I was at Glen Helen both saturday and sunday and raced 2 classes both days. Got a second and a third overall for the prize giveaway series in both of my classes. My buddy won the KTM also. I was parked behind the bleachers on that little dirt road. How about we meet up in two weeks at cahuilla for round 1 of the winter series?

POSITIVE ghostrider!!!! I just changed out my triple clamps with pro circuit 22.5's that were for an 07......It already had the stem installed and i thought i would have to press the 08 stem in the lower pro circuit clamp......I matched them up and they were the same........... So I am positive! I was at Glen Helen both saturday and sunday and raced 2 classes both days. Got a second and a third overall for the prize giveaway series in both of my classes. My buddy won the KTM also. I was parked behind the bleachers on that little dirt road. How about we meet up in two weeks at cahuilla for round 1 of the winter series?

We must know each other and not know it. I've known and have raced with Wayne for years. On Saturday I was parked in that same area (behind the bleachers on the dirt road) , silver F-350 with a white enclosed trailer with Kicker and RG3 stickers, Sunday I was parked by the starting line straight.

It must be a fluke that the stem worked for you, RG3 informed me that it was shorter and Yamaha also shortened the steering head by 5mm. Maybe I have wrong info?

I'm not planning on doing the next series but maybe a few rounds.

We must know each other and not know it. I've known and have raced with Wayne for years. On Saturday I was parked in that same area (behind the bleachers on the dirt road) , silver F-350 with a white enclosed trailer with Kicker and RG3 stickers, Sunday I was parked by the starting line straight.

It must be a fluke that the stem worked for you, RG3 informed me that it was shorter and Yamaha also shortened the steering head by 5mm. Maybe I have wrong info?

I'm not planning on doing the next series but maybe a few rounds.

What a trip bro.....I was right there. Wayne is good people and nobody deserved that more than him...especially with all he's been through lately. I don't know what RG3 is talking about with the stem being different. The setup I got from Pro Circuit was for an 07 and the stem was the same as my stock 08. You can't just buy the stem by itself from Yamaha. It comes with the bottom clamp. Which way were you parked on that dirt road? Facing away from the starting line towards the announcing tower? I think i remember seeing your trailer. Damn bro.........I had alot of things going on or I woulda paid more attention.

What a trip bro.....I was right there. Wayne is good people and nobody deserved that more than him...especially with all he's been through lately. I don't know what RG3 is talking about with the stem being different. The setup I got from Pro Circuit was for an 07 and the stem was the same as my stock 08. You can't just buy the stem by itself from Yamaha. It comes with the bottom clamp. Which way were you parked on that dirt road? Facing away from the starting line towards the announcing tower? I think i remember seeing your trailer. Damn bro.........I had alot of things going on or I woulda paid more attention.

Yeah Wayne deserved it the most. I was facing towards the tower.

I was under the impression that this bike pushed in the center of the turn and the 22mm offset just changes the push to the entrance of the turn. I agree, work with the sag , fork height, and rebound to find your happy medium.

I was under the impression that this bike pushed in the center of the turn and the 22mm offset just changes the push to the entrance of the turn. I agree, work with the sag , fork height, and rebound to find your happy medium.

Who did you hear that from?????? I like the way the 22.5's work on my 08. I also liked the way the stock ones did also...I can tell you that running 98mm of sag instead of the usual 103 is the biggest and best difference.:banghead:

Yeah Wayne deserved it the most.

Yeah, Wayne really does deserve it!

For the record Yamahas have had two steering stem lengths.

"Short" for the 98-08 YZ125 & YZ250F & 98-05 WR250F

"Long" for the 98-07 YZ250 & YZ400F thru 450F & WR450F

For the 2008 YZ450F they went with a "Mid".

For the record Yamahas have had two steering stem lengths.

"Short" for the 98-08 YZ125 & YZ250F & 98-05 WR250F

"Long" for the 98-07 YZ250 & YZ400F thru 450F & WR450F

For the 2008 YZ450F they went with a "Mid".

That's correct. The difference in the earlier two is about 12 mm. The '08 is 5 mm shorter than the "long" one, which isn't so much that the long stem wouldn't work.
That's correct. The difference in the earlier two is about 12 mm. The '08 is 5 mm shorter than the "long" one, which isn't so much that the long stem wouldn't work.

Tell me how is it that the one that came on my Pro Circuit clamps that are for an 07, matches up identically with my 08 stem???????? I even pressed both of them out and laid them side by side....examined them very closely. They are identical........except for the color.......the pro circuit one is an anodized brown color.

Yamaha has stated repeatedly that he Steering Head of the frame on the '08 is 5mm (.196") shorter than the '06/'07 (measured between two completely seated bearings). I have no reason to doubt that, but that would not necessitate the use of a shorter stem. Simply making the top clamp or the upper lock ring 5 mm thicker would have corrected for it in terms of the stack length, as would any number of other little tricks.

The stems may well be the same, and in a way, it wouldn't surprise me. They do seem to try to maintain as much interchangeability as is practical.

Yamaha has stated repeatedly that he Steering Head of the frame on the '08 is 5mm (.196") shorter than the '06/'07 (measured between two completely seated bearings). I have no reason to doubt that, but that would not necessitate the use of a shorter stem. Simply making the top clamp or the upper lock ring 5 mm thicker would have corrected for it in terms of the stack length, as would any number of other little tricks.

The stems may well be the same, and in a way, it wouldn't surprise me. They do seem to try to maintain as much interchangeability as is practical.

:banghead: they are the same. The whole reason I went through all this is because I thought i would have to use the 08 stem in my new clamps...I was surprised when i had them side by side and they were the same.