Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2weelz

Removing Lowering Link Bearings

10 posts in this topic

I just bought a 2000 XR650L. The previous owner installed a lowering link which I don't need. I need to switch the bearings to the stock dog bone but I don't have a press. Can I get them out some other way? Thanks

As said above, use 1 socket to push them out and the other socket on the other side for the bearing to fall into. That is how I did it and it worked fine. Don't try pounding them out with a hammer. You will f#@k up the bearing. Also, it takes a little patients to get all of the bearings back in.

There is a good chance that you will damage the bearings getting them out. It is critical that whatever you use to press them out is the correct size. I would just buy some new ones and leave the old ones in the lowering link.

Those dogbone bearings are the first to go in the linkage. Take a really close look at them. If there is any sign of wear or corrosion you want to replace them anyway. They only cost about $8, but you do need 4 of them.

I agree with Cleonard. With the trouble your going to encounter with trying to remove the bearing without damage and re-installing them will be more of a pain than its worth imho plus fresh bearings are always a good thing.

hmmmmmm ...... that's odd. :busted:

When I pulled off my stock link and installed a Kouba lowering link, I removed the bearings from the stock link with my hands and then put them into the Kouba link ...... piece of cake. No pounding, pressing or any other kind of excessive force needed. :D

Maybe I've just got strong hands. :banghead:

I got them out. I heated the link with a heat gun and tapped them out with the correct size socket. Getting them in the new link was another story. I had to pound them in. I think I f'd one of them up but everything works fine for now. I'll replace soon. Oh yeah, now my suspension squeeks up and down. Doh!

Another cheap bearing press alternative: 12 inches of all thread, a variety of washers and sockets, and a couple of nuts to fit the all thread.

It is kind of the same idea as using the shop vise and some sockets only you use the all thread and nut settup with a pair of wrenches to ease the bearing in or out.

Worked for me when replacing all of the suspension bearings on my KX. :banghead:

I got them out. I heated the link with a heat gun and tapped them out with the correct size socket. Getting them in the new link was another story. I had to pound them in. I think I f'd one of them up but everything works fine for now. I'll replace soon. Oh yeah, now my suspension squeeks up and down. Doh!

or you could have thrown the bearings in the freezer, and heated up the link in the oven. then install. this is how i replace the crank and bearings in an RC engine. should work the same.