Hello, new 650R owner here

Hello, I guess Im stepping it up a notch, just sold my DRZ-S and replaced it with an'02 XR650R.

Looking for a few tips/opinions, the bike is already un-corked with the stock carb re-jetted and has a Pro Circuit Type 496 pipe on it, but still has the stock head/mid pipes. First, any opinions of the 496? Second, will new mid/head pipes make a big difference? It also came with the stock can and both stock and opened exhaust tips. Im assuming the Pro Circuit pipe is going to perform a little better.

Next, I want a bigger tank, I had a Natural Clarke tank on my DRZ and it was great, but seems like there are alot of people on TT that arent impressed with the fit and finish of the Clarke tanks. Maybe I got lucky, maybe the DRZ tanks are nicer for some reason. Anyway, whats the general opinion on tanks for the BRP?

Also, I see alot of people who cut air holes in the side plastic, is this just on bikes with major mods (head work, valves, Cam) or will I benefit from it with a basic un-corking and maybe re-jetting again?

I just changed out from stock to a Clarke 4.3 gallon... everything lined up nice and easy install. And on the last ride, it was a very nice feeling knowing there was no need to worry about distance between gas stops for the day's ride.

Mine has a full w\bros. system R-4. I rode the same bike with a modified stock pipe, mine had a LOT more top end.I was really surprised at the difference.

I like my IMS 4.3 tank very nice fit and quality. And you can see the level of fuel. It's nuetural color.

I did put some holes in the side cover, but under the seat area is a battery and larger regulator so the air flow is a little blocked.

I had a dr-z s in 01. The 650 is way better once it has a daul sport kit on it. And the TRUE weight is almost the same. +12 lbs for the 650...really.

I recently sold a '06 DRZ400S that was fully un-corked, having been disappointed in the low-end torque. I thought the the E-start was the do-all end-all, but nope: I have gone back to another XR650R (plated) for my dual sport bike, and with the Edlebrock carb, starting is a non issue.

Welcome to the forum.

sup, lets go riding.

Hello, I guess Im stepping it up a notch, just sold my DRZ-S and replaced it with an'02 XR650R.

Looking for a few tips/opinions, the bike is already un-corked with the stock carb re-jetted and has a Pro Circuit Type 496 pipe on it, but still has the stock head/mid pipes. First, any opinions of the 496? Second, will new mid/head pipes make a big difference? It also came with the stock can and both stock and opened exhaust tips. Im assuming the Pro Circuit pipe is going to perform a little better.

Next, I want a bigger tank, I had a Natural Clarke tank on my DRZ and it was great, but seems like there are alot of people on TT that arent impressed with the fit and finish of the Clarke tanks. Maybe I got lucky, maybe the DRZ tanks are nicer for some reason. Anyway, whats the general opinion on tanks for the BRP?

Also, I see alot of people who cut air holes in the side plastic, is this just on bikes with major mods (head work, valves, Cam) or will I benefit from it with a basic un-corking and maybe re-jetting again?

The 496 is a good choice for those who want to keep their bike on the quiet side. Most will agree there is no HP increase adding an exhaust can, mostly eye candy, a different rumble and weight savings. The stock can's performance with the open exhaust tip works as good as most, not too loud, no maintenance and very durable. Also, it might be hard to match up a performance header to this 496 exhaust. Even PC makes a exhaust to fit the stock header, and another to fit their full exhaust system for the XRR.

Adding a header seems to help the mid to upper powerband, while losing a little torque on the lower end. With the airbox holes, with more air in, you will need to move more air out with some jetting changes to see improvements. A high flow air filter works well if you have not done this yet, and less worries in wet riding conditions. The tanks- I have heard that to about the clark tanks having fitting issues, but I have heard just as many say they fit like a glove. Alot like the IMS 4.6, but some slight trimming needs to be done to get the shrouds to fit right. Remember, if you have an oversize tank but your riding buddies do not, it will not matter how much further you can go...

Good luck, I am sure you will love the switch you made! :banghead:

Thanks for all the advise, now if this stupid New England winter would go away I could actually do some riding on the new toy :banghead:

O well, I guess I have an excuse to tear the bike down a little and get familiar with it before riding season.

Next step is to upgrade the stator and finish of the dual sport conversion.