Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arcboy

Chain application?

9 posts in this topic

I have a 01 WR 426 that I purchased about 2 months ago with a SM set up. I just bought a 450 dirt set up.

I was wondering if they should just bolt right up to the 426.

I would like to possibly use one chian for dirt and SM setups. The sproket set ups are SM: 15/48 Dirt: 15/47. I wouldn't think that the one tooth would be that big difference.

Also what type of chain o-ring, x-ring, no ring, what brand, and who has good deals?

I have a 01 WR 426 that I purchased about 2 months ago with a SM set up. I just bought a 450 dirt set up.

I was wondering if they should just bolt right up to the 426.

I would like to possibly use one chian for dirt and SM setups. The sproket set ups are SM: 15/48 Dirt: 15/47. I wouldn't think that the one tooth would be that big difference.

Also what type of chain o-ring, x-ring, no ring, what brand, and who has good deals?

You should not have any issues with length using the same chain with these two set ups but the 15/47 is pretty tall gearing for off road.. unless you are going to be riding primarily desert. I think stock set up on your 426 was 14/50. I think you would be better off going the other way with your dirt set up and using a 49 or 50T rear sprocket. Before my 07' I would always run 13/50 offroad but most of my riding is tight and technical:excuseme:

Using a 15t front sprocket for dirt? Is that using original 21" front / 18" rear?

15 / 47 seems really tall.

I think you might get away with 14/48 (what I run on my 450) for dirt.

I really don't want to change the front sproket along with the wheels and chain.

I wanted to find a good set up that all I would have to change is the wheels and ride. I will be swapping quite often. The rear is a stock 450. Not sure what the front is stock but I currently have a 15. Not sure how it will react with the stock dirt wheels with a 15/47. I will be doing mostly tight and techincal here in NC.

I really don't want to change the front sproket along with the wheels and chain.

I wanted to find a good set up that all I would have to change is the wheels and ride. I will be swapping quite often. The rear is a stock 450. Not sure what the front is stock but I currently have a 15. Not sure how it will react with the stock dirt wheels with a 15/47. I will be doing mostly tight and techincal here in NC.

I would go with a 50T rear and then just find the sweet spot in regard to chain length so you can interchange with out removing or adding a link.

If you are riding tight and technical the 15/47 will be WAY to tall:prof:

Well if it doesn't rain this weekend I will be doing some riding and I will have to see if the 15/47 will do. At least until I get a different set of chain and sprokets.

If I keep the 15 front what should I get to compensate for in the rear for tight and technical woods riding?

If I keep the 15 front what should I get to compensate for in the rear for tight and technical woods riding?

I would get the 50T but you might start getting to big of a gap to interchange wheels with one chain.