XR 650r Where's the oil goin' ?

2 weeks ago I bought a 2000 XRr, took it out to a local OHV park last Sunday and had a great time. It's a mostly hill-climb area so we only put about 45mi. on. Before I left that morning, checked the fluids and noticed the oil was a little low. The guy I bought the bike from said the oil was changed around 150mi. ago, I ended up putting the better part of a quart into it witch put the level at the high mark on the dip stick. After the day's riding, got it home, washed it up and was going to start it to make sure no water was in the pipe, checked the oil and it was not registering on the dip stick at all. Added another 8-10 oz. and it's still not showing. The bike ran great all day last Sun. no smoke, not leaking from anywhere, started fine every time. I won a Honda serv. manual on ebay, but have not recieved it yet so I'm kinda fumblin' in the dark. Any ideas where I should start looking ?

The 650R is funny about checking the oil. You must run the engine for a few minutes/take a short ride, stop the motor, then check the oil immediately. You can't check the oil without running the motor first. Overfilling the oil can cause the counter-shaft seal to blow out and leak. Also, check for oil in the airbox as oil can puke out the breather hose from the case to the airbox.

Thank you gentlemen, I'll check the air box first. If it blew the counter shaft seal, where would I see that oil ?

If it blew you would know. It doesn't just leak a little when that seal blows. It splooges everywhere.

Do the proper oil check method and take a lot of readings so you will know what is going on oil wise.

As mentioned, you must ALWAYS run the bike first. Without running it, it will always show a low reading. Furthermore, you need to let it eun much longer than the manual says to get an accurate reading. Let it warm up good.

+1 on that. The only way I ever get a really true reading is to check it when I pull up to the truck at the end of a ride. Even if I let it idle for ten minutes, it reads low if I start it cold.