D.I.D. VT chain master link rivit

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I'm a dummy:bonk: I messed up the rivit on my new chain. The question is will another DID o ring chain master link work? I guess I will have to order another master link for this VT chain. Thats the problem with these specalized T,X, O ring chains

I take it you werent using the proper rivit/press tool? Remember that the master link for that chain is a NARROW!!!

I was using a motion pro which is the proper tool. I believe I used to much pressure. Anyone have experience in riveting these master links?

Hey Wes, how did you use to much pressure? With the motion pro tool? You press the plate on then flare the pin ends. Do you mean that you pressed the plate on to far and bound up that link of the chain or you flared the ends of the pins to much and cracked them????????? If you pressed the plate on to far you can just use a flat blade screwdriver and pop the plate off and press it on again............If you cracked the ends of the link pins.....your gonna need a new link.

What makes you think you applied to much pressure?

I heard a snap and then when I looked there was a crack in the rivet hole itself. Does anybody know how much torque or pressure it takes to swedge the holes? I beginning to think that it doesn't take much pressure.

Hey Wes, how did you use to much pressure? With the motion pro tool? You press the plate on then flare the pin ends. Do you mean that you pressed the plate on to far and bound up that link of the chain or you flared the ends of the pins to much and cracked them????????? If you pressed the plate on to far you can just use a flat blade screwdriver and pop the plate off and press it on again............If you cracked the ends of the link pins.....your gonna need a new link.

Well to answer you correctly, On my 2006 I pressed the link plate on too tight and bound the chain. I tried to loosen the link with the screwdriver and it worked a little bit. Riding loosened it up. Ended up perfect. On my 08 I got the plate right but applied too much pressure to the pins then cracked them. I want to make darn sure the link won't come off so I tightened it too much. How much pressure does it take to rivet the pins?

I heard a snap and then when I looked there was a crack in the rivet hole itself. Does anybody know how much torque or pressure it takes to swedge the holes? I beginning to think that it doesn't take much pressure.

Yeah a snap is not good...with the RK Tool there is side plates, upper right hander of pic.. that you use to press on the chain side plate and has a slot that stops at the correct depth, so you can't push it on to far. Also when doing the rivets when you start tightening the bolt on the tool to flare the hole it will go from easy to turn(tighten) to firm..stop when you get to firm. Hope that makes sense.

It's super easy to use if you read the directions....