1st and 2nd gear wheelies?

I bought an 2004 XR650L at a good price (bargain) with about 2k miles on it, with a few mods and running like shit. In fact, it would only run on the choke for the fist 10 to 15 minutes and not very well after that. Going through it I discovered that it had no screens on the fuel petcock, carb was full of crap and the stock pilot jet plugged. I added a fuel filter, cleaned the carb and added a 55 pilot jet. Bike is equipped as follows: Full Big Gun exhaust (not sure which one) with sound diffuser in place, Dynojet jet kit with 165 main, needle in 3rd groove, 55 pilot, dynojet kit slide spring, slide not drilled, mixture 2 1/2 turns out, K&N air filter, de-smogged, de-snorkeled, 14/48 gearing, new o-ring 520 chain, stock tires, lowered seat foam, and forks lowered a bit in the triple clamps.

Now, I'm not complaining at all....I've got it running and it idles and runs great with best throttle response I've ever experienced from a thumper. But I've read some threads on here about owners with similar mods describing full on first and second gear wheelies, having a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground etc. Not the case for me....maybe a few inches in first if I open the throttle quickly. Am I missing out on some power here? From the descriptions I've read I was expecting something like my old KX250 dirt bike that would wheelie in first, second, and third if it could find the traction. Any thoughts or ideas? Is my lowered seat foam and lowered forks affecting the center of gravity enough to prohibit wheelies? I'm 5'7" 160 lbs. Is the sound diffuser robbing me of some power? Drill the slide and add a bigger pilot jet?

Haloha,

dude, there's no way that an L is gonna have the bottom end power of a KX250. I reckon you are gonna have to pull pretty hard on the handle bars to get that wheel up in the air.

Changing the gearing on the bike will help.

I saw a video a while back on You-know-where of some guys riding motards around in Hawaii, looked awesome. Think they were on Husqvarnas.

Congratulations on the new bike anyways.

Let's not forget that guys tend to exaggerate about how well their bikes perform. Having said that, my XRL is set up similar to yours and I'm about your weight. If I crack the throttle wide open in first I get an immediate wheelie and if I don't lay off it will flip. Second gear I must give it a hand full of throttle and a good tug on the bars and I will have a nice long controllable wheelie. Third gear forget it.

Yeah Paul, a lot of guys ride motards and dual sports out here.....The best bikes for this kind of environment in my opinion....my gixxer 1100 streetfighter was a bit too much bike for the island. I guess people do tend to exaggerate a bit about thier bikes. I'll keep riding and experimenting with the throttle application.

My '93 650l will roll on wheelie in 1st, almost too easily. In 2nd gear, I too have to help it with a tug up on the bars. In 3rd gear, if I can get enough traction, while standing, I can get the front tire up at about 35mph and keep it up. Got to tell you, a 35-40mph wheelie on this bike is SCARY!!:banghead: 4th gear is no way.

My mods so far: de-smog, uncork, k&n filter, stock carb with 60/160 jetting, Supertrapp race pipe, Acerbis 5.8 tank. No fancy cams or carbs.

Let's not forget that guys tend to exaggerate about how well their bikes perform. Having said that, my XRL is set up similar to yours and I'm about your weight. If I crack the throttle wide open in first I get an immediate wheelie and if I don't lay off it will flip. Second gear I must give it a hand full of throttle and a good tug on the bars and I will have a nice long controllable wheelie. Third gear forget it.

I agree with Bibleman, I get the same results. Smog junk removed and it is uncorked with a DJ kit (spring and needle - non drilled slide and a DJ 160 main and a keihn 55 pilot, UNI air filter, 2 1/4 turns out, FMF Q2. I have been thinking of putting the DJ 165 main back in - but not that big of a difference and it runs just fine.

Hmmm...well, like I said earlier maybe my technique and throttle application need some adjustment instead of the carburator.....I don't know though, thinking back, even my old 1985 XL600 would flip in first gear if I wasn't carefull. All it had was a Supertrapp. The carbs (they had 2 back then for some reason) were bone stock!

Here is a second gear wheelie. I'm fat at 270, but have the motor to push. 04XR650L, cam, xr's only carb, big gun, rod kit, air box, 10.5-1 piston, filter, more $hit. Runs with my 650R uncorked. They each have their fine points. My cam is on my sled now, so next spring I will try to kill that cam on my L!!

betterwheeliegif.gif

• Like 1