Shock spring paint job

Want to remove the stock silver and make it black.

No problem around sandblasting but dont know what type colour would hold up to constant vibration.

Considering powder coating.

Want to remove the stock silver and make it black.

No problem around sandblasting but dont know what type colour would hold up to constant vibration.

Considering powder coating.

Powdercoat it.

I spray painted mine white a couple of years ago. It's held up really well.

Decided to get it chromed.

first remove paint with paint remover chemical, then polish the metal and last chrome with electro chemic procedure.

Hope price will work out and dont expect mirror finish, just close to old mirror finish.

Painted mine with Rust Oleum yellow and has held for 4 yrs, not even a chip.

shock426008.jpg

Painted mine with Rust Oleum yellow and has held for 4 yrs, not even a chip.

shock426008.jpg

Dude, I dont wanna bust your chops, but I cant hold back. I can see like 10 chips in the pic.:busted: At least I am assuming you didnt paint those small silver areas in it. It does look good though. I'm sorry man, I just had to say something. I am just having fun bud. :banghead:

Geez just don't paint it pink please.......:banghead:

Chrome eh? Now that is a new one.....FLASHY

I would think that any paint would chip....so if I was diehard that the color must be changed ... powdercoating would be my preference it is more resilient........Good thing it does not matter to me

Has anyone here chromed a spring before? How would it hold up? Is chrome flexible? I would think that it would start chipping and flaking off almost immediately.

Thats why I put that pic up, because you can see the chips all around the bottom, I think all paint will chip, maybe not powder coating. Sorry I was being a little sarcastic with the pic. Mike

actual chrome with break off the first time it compresses. its a really hard metal, it won't flex.

Show bike & car springs are chromed all the time. Eventually, most of them will crack and flake, but not for a long time. Off-road springs do lead a somewhat harsher life, obviously.

Thats why I put that pic up, because you can see the chips all around the bottom, I think all paint will chip, maybe not powder coating. Sorry I was being a little sarcastic with the pic. Mike

I am actually quite impressed and a little jealous I didnt think of it before. I was just funnin' with ya. I hope I didnt offend you. :banghead:

Know chrome is hard.

must consider there are chromed springs used in suspension industry.

_4771093f1e396.jpg

Problem is removing old paint, sticks in every possible hole, and wheres paint, no chrome would attach.

So brushing awaits.

Will get a direct opinion in the shop, since spring compresses deep and alot.

If you just hand the spring to the chrome shop, they'll get the paint off it, believe me.

With acid dipping?

Heard it doesnt melt the artificial materials, but ll give'em a call now.

Black and Blue, Sometimes I don't come across right on the internet or in person for that matter, some people tell me I have a negative dry sense of humor. No offense taken. Mike

With acid dipping?

Heard it doesnt melt the artificial materials, but ll give'em a call now.

If they have a problem getting anything off the part, they'll let you know. They won't apply chrome to anything but metal that's been "pickled" clean. But you also need to discuss what grade of luster you want. Show grade chrome requires the base metal to be polished bright to begin with before the copper goes on (copper, then nickel, then chrome). You may not want all three layers, and you may not want too much polishing (metal removed from) on the spring.

Called today, they expect me to clean the material, otherwise complicated procedures of cleaning, brushing, polishing. Expensive also.

So did it with rotary soft brush, than middle and finaly high grade sand paper. Will do for me. Dont want a mirror finish, just a bit shiny part that is non-paint rust protected.

Will post pre-after results.

Since they expect you to strip it, why not have it dipped in a lye tank? I would think that would completely strip it to bare metal (it does with engine blocks).

Black and Blue, Sometimes I don't come across right on the internet or in person for that matter, some people tell me I have a negative dry sense of humor. No offense taken. Mike

Yeah, the net sucks for that. I am glad your cool. I am actually thinking of painting mine black. I hope it looks as good as yours after that much time. :banghead: