HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxpanda

Stock Stator Output

11 posts in this topic

I searched around for a little bit look to see if anyone new the stock stator output of a 06 YZ450, anyone know? Was looking to add only a LED tail light and rear LED turn signals.

There is no lighting or auxiliary circuit to tap into on the stock stock YZF stator. I do not advise adding anything to the ignition system power circuit under any circumstance. Use a battery, or spring for a Moose stator.

is it possible to run lights off a battery just enough to make it road legal, or atleast somewhat. If so, where can u get them?

is it possible to run lights off a battery just enough to make it road legal, or atleast somewhat. If so, where can u get them?

When you say street legal do you mean just having them operational during a 1 minute legal inspection? If so then yes but it's not worth it IMO. If your looking to be street legal then do it the right way like Gray said.

If all you're gonna put on is LED tail light and signals, then battery power will be just fine. Forrest at Wheeling ran LED turn signals constantly for like 2 days at a show, with them being powered only by an 8 cell AA battery pack. LED lights use a very very small amount of amps - around 20 to 40 times less than regular bulbs, and will last a long time on a small battery pack. I am running my LED signals with an AA battery pack.

Now, for a headlight, you will have to use an aftermarket stator such as made by Moose, Electrosport, etc., like Grey said, or have your stocker rewound by Lake and Trail.

I think its a 120w coil
The absolute most you'll see from a rewound or custom made stator for the YZF with a lighting coil is 55w AC.

To fill you guys in with a little more information, all I want is to get a little more use out of my bike. I have been told by another user that has been converting his bike into a supermoto that you do not need to have your bike inspected in Ohio. I will be using my bike for both on road and off, but I want it to look clean and not over come with lights and etc. Right now I really don't see a need for a headlight, just because I doubt that I would ride at night. All I really would want to add is the taillight, rear signals lights a plate and street tires. This brings up another issue. Right now money is tight, due to the fact that I am in college and not working as much. So my next question is does anyone know a good set of street tires that would fit the YZ's stock wheels, as im sure this would be cheaper than buying SM wheels and tires.

If money is tight then it will pay off to wait till you have some later. Your looking at some bucks to do what you want to do.

The absolute most you'll see from a rewound or custom made stator for the YZF with a lighting coil is 55w AC.

True, but that will only be with significant RPM. At idle it will barely have enough output to run your headlight dimly.

That's my point. It's a far cry from the statement below, wouldn't you say?

I think its a 120w coil