DRD Carbon Exhuast 08 YZ450F

I have pretty much settled on the DRD Exhaust. I don't hear much about the carbon fiber one. How much lighter is it really than the Ti?

What are the pro's and con's.

Used to be that Carbon Fiber needed to be repacked more frequently and became toast even in an easy get off (crash). Does this still hold true?

Where is the cheapest place to buy one of these DRD pipes. They are expensive direct!

The carbon fiber version isn't any lighter than the full titanium version, it just looks better. You need to repack any silencer often or else a hole will be burned through the side of the can (I've seen it on aluminum and titanium silencers as well). Carbon fiber silencers tend to burn a hole through a little faster if not repacked. The advantage of carbon fiber is that it will not dent like titanium, but disadvantage is that when it reaches its maximum load it breaks. The type of hit that will break a carbon fiber silencer will demolish a titanium silencer as well.

The carbon fiber version isn't any lighter than the full titanium version, it just looks better. You need to repack any silencer often or else a hole will be burned through the side of the can (I've seen it on aluminum and titanium silencers as well). Carbon fiber silencers tend to burn a hole through a little faster if not repacked. The advantage of carbon fiber is that it will not dent like titanium, but disadvantage is that when it reaches its maximum load it breaks. The type of hit that will break a carbon fiber silencer will demolish a titanium silencer as well.

Thanks for the great information!:banghead:

As long as price is a factor, the aluminum and stainless versions of any exhaust are just as good, same perforamce gain, and you wont notice the difference in weight when you are riding. If you got the cash though, and dont mind repacking your exhaust a little more frequent, like the look (main reason i think people buy them), then give the CF a try.

...you wont notice the difference in weight (with the SS pipe) when you are riding.
An interesting thing about the DRD SS pipe versus stock is that while the weight is nearly the same as stock, the weight distribution is better. The DRD header is heavier than the stock Ti header is, but the stock muffler is both heavier, and longer than the DRD. Because of this, the exhaust system weight is shifted down and to the center; a good thing.

An interesting thing about the DRD SS pipe versus stock is that while the weight is nearly the same as stock, the weight distribution is better. The DRD header is heavier than the stock Ti header is, but the stock muffler is both heavier, and longer than the DRD. Because of this, the exhaust system weight is shifted down and to the center; a good thing.

I don't think on the 08 that the stock muffler is longer than the DRD?:banghead:

I don't think on the 08 that the stock muffler is longer than the DRD?:banghead:
You're right. My comment, though I didn't clarify it as such, was in reference to the '06-7 models. In terms of weight on an '08, the DRD Stainless might be a slight step backward, but it would be a small one. In terms of power, especially low end, it's a huge leap forward, but the stock silencer throttles the low end so badly that almost anything works better, even an earlier stock pipe.

According to MXA,

The SS version wieghts the same as the stock 08 450 exhaust. They are all the same performance. If weight is an issue go with Ti. Neither MXA nor Dubach recommend the Carbon Fiber version because of durability, the metal ones are much stronger. You are only paying for the look on the carbon one. It is a tough decision, I'm thinking of getting one for my 06 I'll probably go with the SS, but the Carbon one is sooo nice.

I would like to know too where I could find the cheapest one. Someone posted a site that sells them for 449 but I can find the thread.

I have question? I just got my DR.D pipe. TI/TI for an 08 Yz450f. The package said it was for 06 and 07 and I'm sure they are the same. It fits ok. In the package comes a small plastic bag with some stickers, a torx wrench and a washer. The question is where does the washer go? Does it go on the head pipe bolt? :banghead: Thanks W3

CF vs Alum/Ti

Cost - CF is a lot mo $$$$$

Durability - When you crash the odds are your CF pipe will be toast, the Alum/Ti may be scratched.

Bling Factor - CF wins hands down

Maintaining - the CF cannisters are known to have blow outs if the Packing is not replaced/repacked every 15-30hrs. Both require packing/repacking at these intervals.