Bigger XR600 gas tank?

I've got the 4.0Gal IMS. it doens't feel much wider when riding. I Think the increase in volume happens by adding space to the bottom of the tank. I do notice the bike to be heavier.

Thinking about it, I'm wondering if I had shorter legs, if my knees would be on a wider portion of the tank.

This does make pulling the carb a bit more of a hassle to do w/o pulling the side panels/seat.

I can get about 44 miles or so until I have to put on reserve Im not sure how far I can go on reserve.My mods are a High comp piston,slip on supertrapp,jetted 68PJ and 170MJ.I ride 100 percent in the woods I do hit the throttle alot but just for a couple gears.

I did also flood the bike out several times on this ride and Ive only checked how far I could go until reserve on this one ride.

What mods do you have and what kind of riding is getting you 100 miles to tank I wouldnt need a larger tank if I could go 100 LOL.Thanks guys oh I run straight 110 octane if that matters.

44 miles before reserve. Damn. I get 35mpg running the bike flat out in the desert and about 40 mpg on fast trails.

I have the IMS 4.3 (at least I think it's 4.3) and it's pretty slim for the amount of fuel it carries. It's really heavy when it's full and I'm in the trees. I got mine used from a fellow TTer for $75 or so.

Acerbis makes a 6.0 gallon tank so you can feel like an oil tanker when you're solemning through the trees.

"O"

I can get about 44 miles or so until I have to put on reserve Im not sure how far I can go on reserve.My mods are a High comp piston,slip on supertrapp,jetted 68PJ and 170MJ.I ride 100 percent in the woods I do hit the throttle alot but just for a couple gears.

I did also flood the bike out several times on this ride and Ive only checked how far I could go until reserve on this one ride.

What mods do you have and what kind of riding is getting you 100 miles to tank I wouldnt need a larger tank if I could go 100 LOL.Thanks guys oh I run straight 110 octane if that matters.

Have you checked the float level?

My riding is also trails and I also do hit it hard. Love to get the rearend sideways on the straights!

As for tuning and mods, 68 and 158 jets, airfilter, XR's Only slip, one tooth smaller front sprocket, snorkel removed

Well crap something has to be wrong then.My bike starts and runs great.How would the float be affecting me?Forgot I do have air filter no snorkel and smaller front sprocket.Come to think of it I have 160MJ not 170.

Well crap something has to be wrong then.My bike starts and runs great.How would the float be affecting me?Forgot I do have air filter no snorkel and smaller front sprocket.Come to think of it I have 160MJ not 170.

My understanding is that a float level too high will give you a "rich" condition and that could be the reason for the flooding.

how do you measure the float level? the manual says 14.5mm and describes how to measure it, but there is no diagram to illustrate it! and a search here on the forum, doesnt really bring up alot of info on it or photos to show how to correctly measure it..

thanks

Great question on float height. And one I had when setting my float level a few months back. As I recall, I measured from the bowl/carb interface to the bottom of the float, measured at the main jet.

Your mileage, if you're in 1st and 2nd, constantly accelerating and braking isn't horrible. I get 25 mpg (about what you are getting) on tight single track with me riding aggressively. I can get 35 mpg to faster single track (riding in 3rd gear). and will get over 40 mpg in desert conditions allowing 3-4th gear riding.

EDIT - check out Dan's carb page. Click on the photo for float level. (shows the measurement, tang, etc)