07 jetting

yes yes i know, the dreaded jetting thread. i read through the jetting topic for a similar setup with no success, so i figured i'd ask.

i mainly ride at jawbone and the elevation is approx 3000ft

2007 yz450f with dr d. stainless full system (low-boy header) and stock air filter with maxima fab1 filter oil. the jetting is 100% stock might i add.

my bike takes 15+ kicks to fire up cold and 2 or 3 when its warm sometimes just 1 kick, and i was told the dr d. would add some snap to my bike but i didn't feel any noticeable power differences...

and if the 2006 and 2007 jetting specs are compatible then grayracer can you post up yours for your 06 with the dr d (you have a set up like that, correct?)

Mine are already posted in the Jetting Specs thread long ago.

yes yes i know, the dreaded jetting thread. i read through the jetting topic for a similar setup with no success, so i figured i'd ask.

i mainly ride at jawbone and the elevation is approx 3000ft

2007 yz450f with dr d. stainless full system (low-boy header) and stock air filter with maxima fab1 filter oil. the jetting is 100% stock might i add.

my bike takes 15+ kicks to fire up cold and 2 or 3 when its warm sometimes just 1 kick, and i was told the dr d. would add some snap to my bike but i didn't feel any noticeable power differences...

and if the 2006 and 2007 jetting specs are compatible then grayracer can you post up yours for your 06 with the dr d (you have a set up like that, correct?)

The jetting between the stock 06 and 07 is DIFFERENT!

Mine are already posted in the Jetting Specs thread long ago.

i noticed but yours were with a stock exhaust and i guess thats irrelevant now that todds924 says the jetting is different.

i noticed but yours were with a stock exhaust and i guess thats irrelevant now that todds924 says the jetting is different.

Stock jetting between the 06 and 07 are different. Might I suggest this. Throw a 165 main jet in, leave the stock 45 pilot...you have an NFLR needle stock....that is good. I am not sure of the clip posistion on that but i believe it is one higher then the stock 06 clip posistion. I would lower the clip one posistion<raise the needle>. Try your fuel screw at 2 or 2 1/2. This should be just about right for the DR D where your riding.

Stock jetting between the 06 and 07 are different. Might I suggest this. Throw a 165 main jet in, leave the stock 45 pilot...you have an NFLR needle stock....that is good. I am not sure of the clip posistion on that but i believe it is one higher then the stock 06 clip posistion. I would lower the clip one posistion<raise the needle>. Try your fuel screw at 2 or 2 1/2. This should be just about right for the DR D where your riding.

thanks bro

jetting is one concept that goes right over my head, which leads me to another thing, is there anything you guys know of that can teach me the actual basics of jetting so i can try to figure it out on my own enxt time? that would be swell.

I just updated the post. The exhaust was added, but I made no changes to the jetting, and I now run both my '06's that way. If you look at the jetting Todd's recommending, you'll find that it's the same as mine other than the fuel screw setting, which of course varies constantly, and the needle. Both mine still run the stock NFLP needle, where yours has a NFLR. These two needles have the same diameter and taper, except the NFLR is one half step leaner in any clip position than the NFLP.

It could be helpful to spring for a JD Jetting kit, they do all the work for you and give you extra jets/needles for different elevations/temps. I got one and it has worked great for me. The 15+ kicks it takes to start cold could indicate bad valve clearances or a dirty carb???

It could be helpful to spring for a JD Jetting kit, they do all the work for you and give you extra jets/needles for different elevations/temps. I got one and it has worked great for me. The 15+ kicks it takes to start cold could indicate bad valve clearances or a dirty carb???

i highly doubt its either of those as my bike only has 15-20 hours on it and i change the oil + filter and clean the air filter after every 2 single days of riding or a weekend trip.

i highly doubt its either of those as my bike only has 15-20 hours on it and i change the oil + filter and clean the air filter after every 2 single days of riding or a weekend trip.

Hey NAP, also remember to pull that float bowl drain and drain the float bowl if your going to let your bike sit for longer than a week. The gas nowadays is garbage.

Hey NAP, also remember to pull that float bowl drain and drain the float bowl if your going to let your bike sit for longer than a week. The gas nowadays is garbage.

really? thanks for the tip...we bought some vp 110 a while back and it sat in our bikes for 10 or so days and i went to change our oil and i read that after 14 days the vp gas gums up so i went to turn on our bikes to make sure it didn't gum up and the choke was like frozen in place...talk about a mini panic attack :banghead: