2007 YZ450F Hour Meter

on the frame........you yz guys don't have to clean the frame like us crf'ers

If your just going to rely on the sticky two sided tape to tape it to the frame thats a bad idea. I've had 2 of them fall off that way. I finally just drilled a tiny hole and put one screw in it along with the tape. Havent had a problem since. All the meters I've seen come with two small sheet metal screws and two holes to put them in. I mount mine on the right side of the steering head above and in front of the radiator.

You can't wrap th esignal wire around the spark plug wire because there isn't one on any YZ450. The wire has to be run around the plug boot (ignition coil).

An alternative to mounting them on the frame at all is to either tape it to your throttle cables, or mount on the inside of the air box. You can check when you clean your air filter, which you were going to be doing almost every ride anyway, right?

If your just going to rely on the sticky two sided tape to tape it to the frame thats a bad idea. I've had 2 of them fall off that way. I finally just drilled a tiny hole and put one screw in it along with the tape. Havent had a problem since. All the meters I've seen come with two small sheet metal screws and two holes to put them in. I mount mine on the right side of the steering head above and in front of the radiator.

You drilled into the frame?

You need to wrap the wire around the exposed portion of the coil at the very top of the plug connector. With the plug properly connected, it is the last inch or so of the connector that sticks out the top. Wrapping it around the wire will not work on new bikes. I used Velcro to stick the meter on the steering head and added a loop of wire through the meter's screw hole and around an adjacent throttle cable just in case the velcro fails.

Brent

You drilled into the frame?

The key is mounting location............you don't wan't to go all the way through. i used a super short sheet metal screw and only used it in one of the two holes on the meter....also the 2 sided tape....I was really pissed after I lost the second one and this one is going nowhere.

Here's what I did with the hour meter wire- tight wrap around the plug boot, then tight wrap with electrical tape. Looks nearly factory. For the meter itself, I zip-tied it to the throttle cables, it won't come off unless I want it to. Also, make sure you leave enough slack in the wire that you can still get the coil off if you need to change/check your plug or pull the head cover to check valves.

coil.jpg

Here's what I did with the hour meter wire- tight wrap around the plug boot, then tight wrap with electrical tape. Looks nearly factory. For the meter itself, I zip-tied it to the throttle cables, it won't come off unless I want it to. Also, make sure you leave enough slack in the wire that you can still get the coil off if you need to change/check your plug or pull the head cover to check valves.

coil.jpg

Looks Good!