IMS tank ?s

Hello there my fellow XRL (and yes, even my fellow XRR:bonk: ) compadres! I've been wanting to get a larger tank for my XRL but I don't want to lose the cooling wings until I can get an oil cooler set-up. It looks to me like the IMS tank has some kind of cooling shroud design built in. Can anyone confirm this either way. Also, I believe I read somewhere that the IMS is not the best fitting tank for the XRL. Any input on this would be appreciated!:banghead:

I just put an IMS on my XRL and am very happy with it.

It does kind of have the wings built in, but they aren't anywhere as big as the factory ones. My bike runs at the same temp with the IMS as it did stock.

As far as fit, it fits fine. Its very sturdy on the bike, even better than the aqualine safari tank I had on my DR. Here's a couple pix. You can see it has a pretty good scoop for channeling air.

XR650L020.jpg

XR650L021.jpg

XR650L022.jpg

Thanks very much for that info. I like the looks of it too! What size, where did you get it and how much, if I may ask. Oh, also, did it come with all necessary hardware and fittings? Oops, one more thing! Is the white that you have see through?

I'm thinking of relocating the battery into the airbox and figured I'd need the breather. I'm a little ahead of myself right now. Still trying to figure out how far to go on the XR. I'm starting to really like it so I'll probably go for the battery relocation, new carb and hotcam. What the hell?

The tank is the see through version (they call it natural). Its pretty handy to check your gas. It's 4 gallons. It came with everything you need to mount it. Uses the rear mounting site from the stock tank that they provide a rubber mount for, and two brackets in the front that bolt to the tank and one of the shroud mounting points. You use the stock petcock.

I just ordered a black IMS to match the bike better so I might be selling this tank. It's only been on the bike for 2 weeks and is perfect. I paid $249 and CA tax. pm me if you might be interested.

The fenders are Maier for an XR600. Got them direct. If you want to fit a tail rack, you will have to mod it with this fender since its higher than stock. The ebay black one and the promotobillit are both too short to work with it. It bolts up exactly like stock. The front needs spacers to clear the wiring.

The headlight unit is a baja designs 55W (Mo betta than stock)

I painted the side panels and they are already full of scratches. I've seen some nice vinyl jobs and wil probably vinyl them when the paint all falls off (krylon fusion)

Just need the black tank now among other goodies...

I have a 4 gallon IMS on my L. The handguard brackets did hit just a little, but I changed to triple clamp mounts. The only thing I don't like about it is that the tank isn't white anymore, but a little brownish. I might get a larger (clarke 4.7) tank in the future, but I'm not sure about the color. See the pics in my garage.

BTW, absynth01 what kind of frame guards do you have? I managed to snag a set of Acerbis, but I haven't seen any since then.

I have a 4 gallon IMS on my L. The handguard brackets did hit just a little, but I changed to triple clamp mounts. The only thing I don't like about it is that the tank isn't white anymore, but a little brownish. I might get a larger (clarke 4.7) tank in the future, but I'm not sure about the color. See the pics in my garage.

BTW, absynth01 what kind of frame guards do you have? I managed to snag a set of Acerbis, but I haven't seen any since then.

Believe it or not, they are for an 89'xr600r also (UNI). PN/12-488-29 (parts unliimited 20$) The shift side fits good. The brake side being made for a drum brake, had to be cut a little. I should have tried a 91 and up XR600R instead. The uni's seem to cover more of the frame than the others. I have the acerbis on my 600 and they have not failed yet(long time). Here are some close ups

Brake side

frameguardrxrl.jpg

shift side

frameguardxrll.jpg

XR600R

brake side

IMG_1848.jpg

shift side

IMG_1847.jpg