XR650L Battery Box

I have a 2007 XR650L and I am curious to know if there is a conversion kit to mount a smaller battery in another location. The stock battey box is way too big!! Please Help!!!

From everything I've read there is no kit, but there are a bunch of threads about relocating the battery to the airbox.

heres a few pics of my relocation to the air box. i first removed the batt. box completely. then routed all wiring to the snorkel area of the air box and hooked up the battery and all electronic units that were in the batt. box.

best mod for my ride. changed the feel of the bike too.

100_7584-1.jpg

100_7585-1.jpg

100_7586.jpg

100_7563-1.jpg

100_7575.jpg

100_7571.jpg

100_7570.jpg

Hey Martinfan, any downside the the pod air filter now that you've had it on for a while?

Hey Martinfan, any downside the the pod air filter now that you've had it on for a while?

none at all! i ride mostly street/highway 75percent to 25 dirt. the only problem i had was when i was still running the cv carb. it caused a small hesitation 1/3 throttle i could not jet out. with the fcr its perfect

have you put in the hotcam?

Thanks for the answer. As far as the Hotcam, believe it or not, I sold it on ebay because it looked like I was going to have to sell my bike because of business being very slow. As it turns out, I'm able to keep the bike (at least for now:ride: ), but the cam is gone:cry:

Thanks for the answer. As far as the Hotcam, believe it or not, I sold it on ebay because it looked like I was going to have to sell my bike because of business being very slow. As it turns out, I'm able to keep the bike (at least for now:ride: ), but the cam is gone:cry:

wow, i hear ya on the slow business. i work on toyota's at a dealer and we maybe have a couple hours of work in the morn. then stand around all day. at least you have your pig for now!

I always liked my XRL, but when I thought it was going I realized how much I wanted to keep it:prof:

ya for me its part of the family now! sitting next to it is my wifes 07 shadow 750 and a 72 cl 350. ALL honda's!

NICE. My XRL's stablemates are currently a Suzuki 650, IT490 and CB450, the latter two being in rough shape:crazy:

I'm really tempted to do the battery relocation. Any regrets Martin?

How do you think the pod filter will do in lots of dust?

Nice pix! Thanks for posting them.

I'm really tempted to do the battery relocation. Any regrets Martin?

How do you think the pod filter will do in lots of dust?

Nice pix! Thanks for posting them.

no regrets at all! the bike should have been made this way. try it, if you dont like it, it only takes an hour or so to restore it to original cond. like i said, it is lighter and the weight is lower and more centered now.

the pod filter will do fine. just keep a spare that is ready to change out in a min. notice. lots of offroad riding will need more frequent changing. the filters are cheap, so i have a couple on hand ready to go.:banghead:

just keep in mind, the pod filter may make jetting a bear with the stock cv carb. i had a hesitation i couldnt jet out of it. that went away with the fcr though.

Thanks for the Help

Has anyone found a side panel that fits after you relocate the battery box? I would assume a XR600 panel may fit?

yes it does fit perfectly.

Has anyone found a side panel that fits after you relocate the battery box? I would assume a XR600 panel may fit?

Here is a XR650L with XR600 side panels. Battery stuff in airbox. Have a new set of Aceribis XR600 side panels for $50 plus shipping.

041812431.jpg

norge, is that yours? do you have any pics of your battery stuff in the air box? i'd like to see and compare with mine. any special mods needed to hang the 600 side panel?

081520051.jpg

081520191.jpg

Here are the batt relocation pics from my XR650L. One pic from the side and one pic from the top. The cables are shortened and all connections soldered.

The XR600 panels fit fine without modification.

nice work norge. looks similar to mine. is that the battery way back in there? i originally put mine there, but i wanted mine to be in the front and easy to get at for replacement if needed. i see a pod filter too, what carb is that? can i see a pic from the other side? just curious, and nice job!

it truly is the best mod ive done to my L.:banghead: