HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Honda_Racer19

How often do you hit your Rev limiter

70 posts in this topic

Heres a ? I am sure we ALL have a few stories about. So lets hear them.

My worst rev limiter hit was during my last race. I was headed out of this sweeper "S" turn thingy into like a 20' table then this small 10' step up thing. I hit the step up and the back of the bike got kicked WAY up in the air and I was on it hard. Scared the holly hell outta me too since I am just coming back from a broken wrist. I think all in all I will chime in on my rev limiter about once a ride.

Only once. I pulled up next to some yahoo in an S-10 at a red light. He looks over at me, we nod our heads and when the light turns green we're off.

Well, I got that 2.3 in the Red "Power" Ranger screaming and right before I shift in to third, I hit the rev-limiter. It had to be the rev-limiter since it bogged down even worse than when the A/C cycles on.

Bottom line, even with that, I showed that 4-cylinder S-10 who's boss! :banghead:

"every now and then" could be a couple times a lap on the track, or here and there in the bush...

It won't hurt anything, afterall what is the rev limit there for, "to protect the motor from over-revving". just don't be mindlessly at it or there for extended periods of time... Of course, sometimes there is no time to shift or it is really awkward and I just hold it pinned for a few secs... (within reason)

Depends on the track im at, but most of the time I hit it about a dozen times a lap. I ride a 06 YZ450F too. Most of the time it is in the whoops sections though.

I very rarely do, but that's largely because the power has long since signed off on my bike.

The only place I've ever consistently see myself reaching the rev limiter around here is up at Red Bud through the sand whoops. It's hard not to, as about 3/4 down the way you've got enough speed for the rear wheel to spin up in the air.

Track owners up North that I race against love the rev limiter. For some reason in the air he'll just pin it the entire time he's in the air. I have no idea why, but it's annoying as hell. :banghead:

the more you rev limmit, the more familar you will come with you valves

Very True!

I hit it on a regular basis, therefore i adjust my valves every 2-4 rides. So I figuare my remedy will be a 500cc kit. Maybe i won't hit it so ofton :banghead:

the more you rev limmit, the more familar you will come with you valves

Not me, 250 2 stroke and rev limiter quite often where I ride, never had to worry about the non-existant valves in my bike. But maybe the piston and rings. :banghead:

I have a bad habit of riding my bikes at the rev limiter...Not just hitting it.

Very obvious your bikes are bought by your Mom and Dad.... No reason to abuse your machine just for fun. If you're against the rev limiter that often it's time to learn gear selection and how to ride. I'm glad my Son doesn't tear his bike up for fun:prof:

If you're riding against the rev limiter... YOU ARE WAY PAST THE USABLE POWER RPM RANGE.

Every time I hit the "Rev Limiter" on the bike I race, it costs me $1000. I race a 1975 Honda XL350. The Rev Limiter is the exhaust rocker arm. Hit 9500 rpm with this bike, and the rocker arm snaps. Takes out both rockers, the cam, and valve cover. You learn real quick to gear the bike so it never exceeds 9000 rpm. I'm a slow learner though, I've done it twice.

Very True!

I hit it on a regular basis, therefore i adjust my valves every 2-4 rides. So I figuare my remedy will be a 500cc kit. Maybe i won't hit it so ofton :banghead:

Dude, your on a 450 shift the thing.... I don't think I have ever hit rev on my 450. Just because you shift it and go ! Now on my 250f I hit it a few times depending on the track. :busted: