2008 YZ 450f for desert

I race the desert about everyother weekend, I was wondering what you guys think I should do to help improve. SO far I got a desert tank I got a rear renthal sprocket with 50T, also have an FMF 4.1 Exhaust. Any suggestions on what else I can do? Maybe Stabilizer? Please HELP

I race the desert about everyother weekend, I was wondering what you guys think I should do to help improve. SO far I got a desert tank I got a rear renthal sprocket with 50T, also have an FMF 4.1 Exhaust. Any suggestions on what else I can do? Maybe Stabilizer? Please HELP

Stabilizer is a good thing for desert. I would take back the renthal sprocket though. That thing will be wore out in 3 weekends. Get a steel sprocket. I'm not sure about the 50 tooth for the desert either. I alternate between 49 and 50 but all i ride is tracks.

I ride desert including a lot of dunes and I use a paddle tire..

Steel rear sprockets other than Ironman are fairly inexpensive and very durable, but quite heavy. Ironman SS rear sprockets wear well, are much lighter, but expensive.

I use Tag rears. They're hard anodized, light, look cool, and outlast Renthals exponentially. I have one that's a year and a half old.

In any case, going from a 49 to a 50 is not the direction I'd want to move in for the desert, unless you would also go to a 14 tooth front. That would pencil out the same as moving to a 13/47 combo, and give you some more cruising speed in 5th. Then again, it depends a little on what you like to do in the desert, too. If you enjoy picking your way along the bottoms of narrow canyons and stuff, the 13/50 might be what you want.

Personally, the stock gearing works out pretty well overall in the desert for me.

One other thing with desert sand riding, I think it is good to reroute the oil breather and put a valve on the end.

While this is a good mod for all riders, I think especially for the sand where you might dump the bike in the sand with the engine running and have it stall there.

I've been dreaming of dropping a WR gear box into my '07 so I never have to change a sprocket again, unless it's worn out. I love the bike in the desert but the slow stuff is a little hard. I run a 13/52 with a comfortable 60mph top end, fast enough for me. The GYTR flywheel is real nice also.

So pretty much what you guys are saying is go back to stock gearing?

I used to race desert quite a bit and speed wise I would probably still finish pretty high in Amateur open class...I have an 08 YZ-450F and with the 5 speed transmission top end speed does not seem to be an issue. Only time I could see needing more speed is for an occasional fire road, but that is obviously a rare need.