Is a 1998 WR400 the same as a 1999

Hi folks,

Just bought a 1998 WR400 and have being on to ebay to get new chain, sprockets, oil filter, etc. However everything for the WR400 says 1999-2000 Is there a difference between the 98 and 99??

Thanks

Andrew:confused:

Hi folks,

Just bought a 1998 WR400 and have being on to ebay to get new chain, sprockets, oil filter, etc. However everything for the WR400 says 1999-2000 Is there a difference between the 98 and 99??

Thanks

Andrew:confused:

The things that come to mind:

1. Axles were thinner on the 98s. That would mean hubs (or is it just the bearings?), spacers, axle blocks would be different.

2. Rear brake caliper is different on the 98s

I know the 99 YZF400 was the first year with the hot start.

My '98 WR has hot start. One thing to do: go to yamaha-motor.com, get to the parts diagrams. Check part #'s for '98 vs '99 for the various things you want and decipher from there. I know some of the parts I've ordered for my '98 were the same on something like an '01 YZ250!

I know from experience that the rear sprocket from a 99 will not fit a 98, the hub is different, anything lse I'm not sure about. Cross part numbers to check.

Thanks folks

hey the swing arms are abit longer the carb is different were the hot start is on the carb on the 98