HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sam250

00 426 First trip to mx track

6 posts in this topic

So after getting the long list of maintenance items done on the 2000 426 I recently purchased, I finally took it to the mx track for the first time. It's my first dirtbike and I'm coming from a 2 stroke atv so there was alot to learn. The first set of laps were really tough. Stalled 4 times and layed it down 3 times in 3 laps. The good news...I think I've got the starting routine down. The second set of laps went much better. Stayed upright and kept the engine running for 4 laps. The bike felt kinda heavy but the smooth power all the way from idle was nice. Felt like a wuss going so slow but getting hurt woulda sucked alot more. Cornering was the most difficult part. Any good drills or reading materials I should try?

So after getting the long list of maintenance items done on the 2000 426 I recently purchased, I finally took it to the mx track for the first time. It's my first dirtbike and I'm coming from a 2 stroke atv so there was alot to learn. The first set of laps were really tough. Stalled 4 times and layed it down 3 times in 3 laps. The good news...I think I've got the starting routine down. The second set of laps went much better. Stayed upright and kept the engine running for 4 laps. The bike felt kinda heavy but the smooth power all the way from idle was nice. Felt like a wuss going so slow but getting hurt woulda sucked alot more. Cornering was the most difficult part. Any good drills or reading materials I should try?

The only way I've been able to get my 426 to turn is to sit on the gas cap. :thumbsup:

Just practice, practice, practice! The more you ride, the more comfortable you'll get.

Cornering was the most difficult part. Any good drills or reading materials I should try?

Get your weight as far forward as possible, sit on the tank.

Split your butt with the seat edge (left turn=right seat edge).

Stand on the outside peg.

Practice, practice, practice.

You may also have to play around with the clickers on the forks.

I had to do this with 426. If the turn is long sweeper soft/sandy I usually stay back and turn on the rear tire. Otherwise I am hugging the gas cap with my crotch in the turns.

Thanks fellas! I'll try those tips. I generally felt like I was always sitting too far back but I guess it was particularly important in the turns.:banghead:

Like the others said, practice, practice!

I got a 400 this summer and like you it is my first bike. I have been to the track about once a week and once you figure out the little tricks to the bike the learning curve will sky rocket.

If I can make one sugestion... get the 03 Exhaust cam mod... it will make the powerband a lot smoother, and I found myself going a lot faster with this mod because you control the bike a lot easier.

AVM