00 426 First trip to mx track

So after getting the long list of maintenance items done on the 2000 426 I recently purchased, I finally took it to the mx track for the first time. It's my first dirtbike and I'm coming from a 2 stroke atv so there was alot to learn. The first set of laps were really tough. Stalled 4 times and layed it down 3 times in 3 laps. The good news...I think I've got the starting routine down. The second set of laps went much better. Stayed upright and kept the engine running for 4 laps. The bike felt kinda heavy but the smooth power all the way from idle was nice. Felt like a wuss going so slow but getting hurt woulda sucked alot more. Cornering was the most difficult part. Any good drills or reading materials I should try?

So after getting the long list of maintenance items done on the 2000 426 I recently purchased, I finally took it to the mx track for the first time. It's my first dirtbike and I'm coming from a 2 stroke atv so there was alot to learn. The first set of laps were really tough. Stalled 4 times and layed it down 3 times in 3 laps. The good news...I think I've got the starting routine down. The second set of laps went much better. Stayed upright and kept the engine running for 4 laps. The bike felt kinda heavy but the smooth power all the way from idle was nice. Felt like a wuss going so slow but getting hurt woulda sucked alot more. Cornering was the most difficult part. Any good drills or reading materials I should try?

The only way I've been able to get my 426 to turn is to sit on the gas cap. :thumbsup:

Just practice, practice, practice! The more you ride, the more comfortable you'll get.

Cornering was the most difficult part. Any good drills or reading materials I should try?

Get your weight as far forward as possible, sit on the tank.

Split your butt with the seat edge (left turn=right seat edge).

Stand on the outside peg.

Practice, practice, practice.

You may also have to play around with the clickers on the forks.

I had to do this with 426. If the turn is long sweeper soft/sandy I usually stay back and turn on the rear tire. Otherwise I am hugging the gas cap with my crotch in the turns.

Thanks fellas! I'll try those tips. I generally felt like I was always sitting too far back but I guess it was particularly important in the turns.:banghead:

Like the others said, practice, practice!

I got a 400 this summer and like you it is my first bike. I have been to the track about once a week and once you figure out the little tricks to the bike the learning curve will sky rocket.

If I can make one sugestion... get the 03 Exhaust cam mod... it will make the powerband a lot smoother, and I found myself going a lot faster with this mod because you control the bike a lot easier.

AVM