19" rear for my XR650R?

good or not so good? i have a shot at a new set of wheels for $500 but wonder if running a 19" will work. i have a lowering link on the bike installed by the PO so i don't know how that would affect handling.

Complete wheels and hubs?

If the hubs are included you need to be sure they are XR650R hubs if you expected to use the whole wheel assembly on your 650R.

But regardless, a 19" rear wheel would not be a very good idea. They will be prone to getting dented, especially with the weight of the XR650R. There is just not enough tire carcuss to absorb rock hits and other off road nasties on a 19" wheel. That is why offroad oriented bikes use 18" wheels. Now, light MX bikes converted to offroad steeds can get away with this a little more to some extent because they are much lighter. But they usually need or should have the valving softened up a little too also help absorb offroad hits and lessen the occurance of dented wheels. It is still best to end up going with a 18" rear wheel for offroad use though.

I wouldn't go there if it was me.My bikes with 19's were always flat prone offroad, ruined a lot of good rides.

Complete wheels and hubs?

If the hubs are included you need to be sure they are XR650R hubs if you expected to use the whole wheel assembly on your 650R.

But regardless, a 19" rear wheel would not be a very good idea. They will be prone to getting dented, especially with the weight of the XR650R. There is just not enough tire carcuss to absorb rock hits and other off road nasties on a 19" wheel. That is why offroad oriented bikes use 18" wheels. Now, light MX bikes converted to offroad steeds can get away with this a little more to some extent because they are much lighter. But they usually need or should have the valving softened up a little too also help absorb offroad hits and lessen the occurance of dented wheels. It is still best to end up going with a 18" rear wheel for offroad use though.

thanks. this is the kind of specific info i was looking for. i never thought about the carcass size relative to the rim, makes sense.