Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MotoGoalie

Yamaha Seat RANT, I can't take it anymore

25 posts in this topic

If I EVER meet the guy who designed the Yamaha YZ/WR seats, I"m gonna kick him in the Nertz!:thumbsup:

My back is totally trashed from the board they put on the 06 WR.

http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/catalogpages/yamahabuy.html

I hope this fixes it. I ordered the tall seat foam and cover from Guts and it pisses me off that I gotta throw $100 at such a stupid fix. Why can't they put decent foam on a FREAKING offroad bike, something that most riders SIT on for long periods of time on rough terrain.

Jebus.:busted:

Been using the GUTS Tall foam and Hardcore Gripper cover combo for years. This year they changed the material on the hardcore gripper cover from a vinyl or naugahyde to a rubber based mat'l and it failed very quickly by tearing or chafing easily at the low point where the tank and sub frame meet...

So I just called GUTS today and they tell me that they discontinued the material used in the earlier hardcore gripper covers :busted: And suggested that I get the "competition" line cover... so I did but not without mention that I used to get 2 seasons out of seat cover and this time I only got a few races :thumbsup:

I still feel that GUTS is a good company with a lot of options for seat combos but I hope they go back to the original "hardcore gripper" cover.

I also put the Guts tall soft foam and cover on my WR. I really didn't think it made all that much difference until I sat on a factory seat the other day...WOW!!!

I concur...I can't believe more people haven't complained. The YZ and WR are seats are a joke!

I guess you have never ridden a CRF450. Like strattling a cinder block. You guys need to ride more to toughen up. The WR is smooth and soft.

P.S. use the pegs more and stand up.

They're a little hard, I'll grant you, but I've got a sure fire cure. Go to the gym, do some squats, get those quads strengthened and stand up more. I get a little saddle sore after a ride, but not enough to get my estrogen flowing. The only thing I want to do to mine is recover it so I can put a "bump" in it to keep me forward...SC

use the pegs more and stand up.

this is true....but i would agree with the other guys as well. when i dual sport...i cant stand up on the road (illegal) and after about 15 miles my butt hurts....:thumbsup:

can any of you guys with aftermarket seat covers post picks and comments about them....thanks

The problem with the WR seat that I have always found is the saddle shape to it. The reason I have gone with the tall seat is the flatter top, makes it more like a YZ seat making for a more aggressive riding position while turning......

I ride so much that Monkey Butt is just a constant fact of life :thumbsup:

They're a little hard, I'll grant you, but I've got a sure fire cure. Go to the gym, do some squats, get those quads strengthened and stand up more.

:thumbsup:

As my name shows, my next passion in life is goaltending for ice hockey games. I usually play 2 or 3 times per week, all year long, if you can imagine that's endless squats (i play a butterfly style) for an hour and a half per game wearing 50 lbs of gear in addition to a lot of mountain biking, hiking and work etc.

My quads are as good as any recreational human beings quads are going to get.

My usual rides are singletrack and jeep roads, much like yours and last for usually 6 to 8 hours depending on how rough the trail is. I don't usually spend 8 hours a day standing up, jumping up and down and hustling a 280lb bike around. Very few people I know do.

In those instances when I sit on the seat going down relatively smooth trail I would appreciate it if the seat that came with the bike was a bit softer than a slab of lead.

1 person likes this

I use padded cycling shorts and that really helped.

That and a little preride babypowder session makes all the difference in the world.

That and a little preride babypowder session makes all the difference in the world.

Say no to baby powder and HELLO to body glide. Helped me alot with the monkey butt. between the padded biker shorts and the glide, my 2x4 seat is now a dream pillow.

I took the seat off my WR and installed an oak 2X4.

Looks good and is twice as soft!

I tried to soften mine up by putting about an inch of foam covered by some fake sheepskin, used the biker shorts. It made the butt more comfortable for a few extra miles (about 50), but after 200 miles my butt still hurt. I was only experimenting with it, but the fake skin only lasted about 6 months before it fell apart.

wr450003.jpg

John in Vegas

If I EVER meet the guy who designed the Yamaha YZ/WR seats, I"m gonna kick him in the Nertz!:thumbsup:

My back is totally trashed from the board they put on the 06 WR.

http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/catalogpages/yamahabuy.html

I hope this fixes it. I ordered the tall seat foam and cover from Guts and it pisses me off that I gotta throw $100 at such a stupid fix. Why can't they put decent foam on a FREAKING offroad bike, something that most riders SIT on for long periods of time on rough terrain.

Jebus.:busted:

One word for stock seat.

Concrete

I have an 02 426 and was just going to post if anybody else was considering wearing a Depends while riding.

The things so friggin tall for me that I'd hate to put a taller seat on it.

I have the Clarke tank and SDG seat. Its only about 1" thick it seams right where you sit the most. Is the Guts seat really any better?

Thanks

You dont like to stop to refuel much do you?

I thought my yamaha seat was too soft so I cut out all the foam ........

500milerange.jpg