Help me pick a place to live!!!! please :thumbsup:

California, has everything.....that is why everyone is here. Pay for most jobs is way higher here, that is why most don't leave. (one of the only reasons I am still here) Eveyone wishes everyone else would just leave but, more just keep coming and coming and coming.......

All the mountains, rivers, desert, ocean are in the right, easy to get to places. It would be a perfect state if it wasn't for all the people. Riding, horses, water/snow skiing, hunting, fishing, lots of sky diving, best hiking, boating just can't do any of it without someone giving you a ticket or paying for every move you make. So. Cal. weather is almost always perfect. I live out away from the constant brown sky, that tastes funny, makes your lungs hurt. Water you drink from the faucet makes you sick. So many rules, I am sure %100 of the quadrizilion people break a law every day.....at least one. It is a truely wounderful state:worthy:

The riding is way awesome :thumbsup: if you don't get caught. :busted: Some of the best sand dunes of any state, Pismo dunes on the beach in July/August @ 70 degrees! Jumping dunes as you look out at the ocean. Dumont dunes are huge!!!!! Competition hill is over 1200 feet almost straight up! 70~80 degrees any month but, summer months. Same weather at Glamis Dunes. Best desert riding from Ocotillo, Mojave, Jawbone, Sunfair, Forest riding.

No No No jgbnm! There's nothing here in NM.....No riding....No mountains....No blue skies....NO CROWDS Like CA & CO....just keep driving on by 'cause there's no riding.

:ride:

:busted: Yeah right! :busted:

We have actually talked a bit about Albuquerque or Santa Fe...there is something so awesome about the desert...plus you guys DO have some sick high country hmmmm :thumbsup:

Oh, we're on to you....

DSC02295.JPG

DSC02290.JPG

Oh Oh ...Looks like somebody's done some spying....well, what you show in those pictures are just a facade: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" :ride:

We have actually talked a bit about Albuquerque or Santa Fe...there is something so awesome about the desert...plus you guys DO have some sick high country hmmmm :thumbsup:

Oh, we're on to you....

DSC02295.JPG

DSC02290.JPG

The only thing up here that is pretty expensive are the fuel prices. Diesel is about 3.45/gal, and gas is around 3.05/gal right now.

But, thanks to Grand Coulee Dam and the Bonneville Power Association, electricity is DIRT cheap, around 6 cents a kilowatt hour. There are a lot of new housing developments, so housing is starting to get cheaper as well.

Get this... If I go 45 west of my house, I can be snowboarding at the slopes, or taking a sled up the side of a mountain. If I go 45 mins east of my house, I can haul a** through on my piggy. In fact, thats what I did today, while my buddies were at the slopes.

I got some helmet cam footage and pics of my ride today. I might post them up soon...

Oh, we're on to you....

DSC02295.JPG

DSC02290.JPG

i am going to apply for an out of state tag for that first pic!

Ha! You worked @ redcliff! Thats who I worked for... That was a freakin sick job...I was only there for a little bit, and unfortunately I had to quit because I broke my collar bone and a whole bunch of ribs on my off-shift :busted: There was no way I could sling a pack in those conditions for at least 6 months.

Yeah, I use to ride from Enterprise to St. george via forest roads/ trails....you only need to sit on the pavement for like 2-3 miles at most

You ever go riding back in the Dixie Nat forest? Great place!!

I figured you worked there. There isn't much else to do in enterprise. I haven't been riding at all actually, I just got my xr600r and I dont have a helmet or boots yet. But I have been to dixie nat forest and I can't wait to ride there. I worked at redcliff from may 03 ~ august 07, and I agree, it is probably the coolest job ever. the people are what make it great.

so, yeah, come back to southern utah! :thumbsup::busted:

California, has everything.....that is why everyone is here. Pay for most jobs is way higher here, that is why most don't leave. (one of the only reasons I am still here) Eveyone wishes everyone else would just leave but, more just keep coming and coming and coming.......

All the mountains, rivers, desert, ocean are in the right, easy to get to places. It would be a perfect state if it wasn't for all the people. Riding, horses, water/snow skiing, hunting, fishing, lots of sky diving, best hiking, boating just can't do any of it without someone giving you a ticket or paying for every move you make. So. Cal. weather is almost always perfect. I live out away from the constant brown sky, that tastes funny, makes your lungs hurt. Water you drink from the faucet makes you sick. So many rules, I am sure %100 of the quadrizilion people break a law every day.....at least one. It is a truely wounderful state:worthy:

The riding is way awesome :thumbsup: if you don't get caught. :busted: Some of the best sand dunes of any state, Pismo dunes on the beach in July/August @ 70 degrees! Jumping dunes as you look out at the ocean. Dumont dunes are huge!!!!! Competition hill is over 1200 feet almost straight up! 70~80 degrees any month but, summer months. Same weather at Glamis Dunes. Best desert riding from Ocotillo, Mojave, Jawbone, Sunfair, Forest riding.

+1. in spite of the whiners complaining about tree huggers, taxes and laws california is a great place to live. i've never understood all of the boasting about living in a no/low tax state, so what? what are the services like in those states? what are their economies like? in spite of the taxes and laws california has a world class economy, which is more than many other states can say.

if california is that great for you, great. stay there. we dont have to worry about getting caught riding here!:thumbsup:

So did you pick a place to live yet? I am still on the edge of my seat wondering where you are going to move.

+1 for Ellensburg WA. Desert to my left, mountains everywhere else and Seattle is only an hour and a half away. If I need to check on the conditions in the mountains I just do a quick panoramic view out my front door. Also, the great thing about riding in the Ellensburg area is that you can go from one riding area to the next and the possibilities are endless. Once you get away from the main camping areas you are likely to not see another soul.

My vote goes to the desert southwest. I grew up in Arizona North of Phoenix and spent ALL of my spare time riding enduro bikes around the trails. There is still a lot of National Forest land that is open to riding and exploring, although Phoenix is getting very crowded and very expensive. New Mexico would also be an awesome pick, though I don't know what the state land issues might be for public riding.

I'm in Oklahoma now and the choices for riding SUCK! I make a trip back to Arizona about every two years (not nearly enough) with the sole intent of visiting family and riding the trails in the Tonto and Prescott National Forests.

-Joe

I've heard that Denver is in a low spot with mountains all around, which traps smog and makes it a not very good air quality kind of place at times.

I've been to Oregon and it sure is nice, so I would tend to head for the coast myself.

I tend to think things like air quality and the housing market would also have a bit of weight on your decision.

It must be exciting to have that kind of choice to make.

Good luck with that.

Since I couldn't deceive you with my previous post on this thread...Oh well, NM is awesome!:cool: Not as crowded as other states. However, alot of the National Forests are becoming targets for closure. Area around Prescott AZ would also be neat. This is the ride we did today in NM (albeit on on ADVRider):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295286&page=16

My vote goes to the desert southwest. I grew up in Arizona North of Phoenix and spent ALL of my spare time riding enduro bikes around the trails. There is still a lot of National Forest land that is open to riding and exploring, although Phoenix is getting very crowded and very expensive. New Mexico would also be an awesome pick, though I don't know what the state land issues might be for public riding.

I'm in Oklahoma now and the choices for riding SUCK! I make a trip back to Arizona about every two years (not nearly enough) with the sole intent of visiting family and riding the trails in the Tonto and Prescott National Forests.

-Joe

NV. is the same way.

Defenitely stay out of Texas. Of all the places I have lived in this country, there are fewer riding areas than anywhere else. Hell in San Antonio if we want to ride at all we have to join a club and pay $300 per year for 400 acres. You can get some nice views and good street riding and even some good mountain biking. If it has a motor on it, you have very limited options. For places me and my buddies love to ride.. New Mexico has some great areas, Arkansas has a ton of riding areas, low cost of living, beutiful roads and I feel is an undiscovered gem. The weather roks as well!

Yup!

I had to buy my own land to ride. Bonus is....It's paid for now and is a riding Meca. Without it I'd be screwed. There are some new places opening up though. I read about a place west of Austin that is several thousand acres of riding and then theres cherokee cycle park east of austin.....

Since I couldn't deceive you with my previous post on this thread...Oh well, NM is awesome!:cool: Not as crowded as other states. However, alot of the National Forests are becoming targets for closure. Area around Prescott AZ would also be neat. This is the ride we did today in NM (albeit on on ADVRider):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295286&page=16

rodrigeo, that's the kind of riding I miss. Lots of open places to ride and trails to explore! I feel a road trip coming on....

-Joe

St George does sound like a good match for you.

It's the least Mormon large city in Utah, and nurses are in short supply, it's a retirement community.

No real snowfall there, but skiing is an hour away (Brian Head), and the riding is second to none.

Within 2-3 hours from St George you have: Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Moab, Canyonlands, Grand Staircase Escelante, the Green River, the Colorado River, Grand Canyon, Lake Mead, Lake Powell, and on and on and on.

If your an outdoorsman, it's tough to beat southern Utah, and if you're a gambler, Mesquite is 30 miles away and Vegas is 120.

Come out and we can plan a group ride of fantastic mountains or high desert to ride. :cool:

George

rodrigeo, that's the kind of riding I miss. Lots of open places to ride and trails to explore! I feel a road trip coming on....

-Joe

St George does sound like a good match for you.

Yeah, I lived in St George for a little bit and I loved the place...some real cool people, great riding and great climbing....we're keeping utah in the back of our minds

Come out and we can plan a group ride of fantastic mountains or high desert to ride.

Where exactly are you? I'm going to be moving back down to texas in the summer (when school ends) and then were going to aggressively look around... so when I'm back in that neck of the woods, I'll definitely try and take you up on that offer! thanks!

-Tom