Help me pick a place to live!!!! please :thumbsup:

You should visit some of the choices and see for yourself. Each person will see the same thing and have a different opinion.

For my wife and I, we moved to Denver from PA because it has most of the things we are looking for, and we have friends here.

I can drive 1-2 hrs, and snowboard, ride, hike, raft, shoot, etc., and while I would prefer to live in the mountains, the commute to work would not be worth it for me.

Good luck and have fun deciding! If you visit Denver to check it out, drop me a line and I will round up a second bike and take you out riding in some of the most amazing country I personally have ever seen.

Later,

Kieran

Oh man! I might just take you up on that, thanks!

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I really enjoy reading what people have to say about where they live. We are definitely going to check out a few places before we move... I really like AZ (spent a lot of time there), but her parents now live there...and she wants some distance from them :thumbsup:

That kinda sucks to hear that the greenies are starting to spreading into the PNW..... I mean really, whats so wrong with plating 2strokes and blasting off fully automatic machine guns in the woods/ desert?

Dude, you can't go wrong w/ Washington. I go to school here in Ellensburg, and let me sum it up for you. You can stand at any point in the town, and look in any direction, and find a riding area within an hour. Like it was said earlier, it gets up to or over 100 in the summer, and down below freezing in the winter with lots of snow for either the slopes, or taking a snowmobile out. There are places for watersports too.

Here are some of my ride reports over the past year...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515093

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561726

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517807&

I figure I spend a good amount of time in this forum and really like all of you guys… so I’m just asking for some input from everyone around the country.

I’m graduating from nursing school in a few months…so finding employment is the absolute least of my worries in choosing a new place to live. Employment for my girl isn’t really an issue either.

Top of our list right now is Portland OR, and Denver/Boulder CO. Were both from NY (city area) and have been living in TX for the past 3+. We really like the weather in TX, but the riding sucks, and so does Dallas. I’ve spent a month in Portland and really liked it….been all through CO and really liked that place too… But I have to say that we are really into the warm (and dry) weather!

I’m looking for a state/ city that’s got good dirt biking/ MTBing very close by…. Hunting, fishing…and all that other good stuff.

We haven’t looked to California at all…to be totally honest, from reading stuff on this forum, I’m kinda scared of Cali… it looks like regulations are getting really tight out there and they break your balls over everything…not to mention its expensive as hell. Is my view of Cali wrong?!?!?! For the people who live there, do you recommend it as a place to move??? Or are you not very happy with your state.

So, if people could quickly chime in and say whether they like their city or not…and would recommend it as a place to live….it would be a huge help!!

~Tom

When you graduate what will you be, a RN? Just asking cuz' my wife graduates in May.

Dude, you can't go wrong w/ Washington. I go to school here in Ellensburg, and let me sum it up for you. You can stand at any point in the town, and look in any direction, and find a riding area within an hour. Like it was said earlier, it gets up to or over 100 in the summer, and down below freezing in the winter with lots of snow for either the slopes, or taking a snowmobile out. There are places for watersports too.

t=517807&[/url]

The landscape/trails look pretty sick! Hows the cost of living up there? reasonable? I was up in the cascades a few years ago and was totally blown away!

When you graduate what will you be, a RN? Just asking cuz' my wife graduates in May.

Yeah, I will be an RN... I'll be getting my BSN this May...it's a great field, depending on what you want to do you can have a lot of autonomy, the work is interesting and beneficial, the demand is HUGE, and the salaries are very good.... not to mention a 3 12hr shift work week is very common in the hospital (thats considered full time too!)..... You work very hard for 3 days....but then you get 4 off to do whatever you please!! :ride::thumbsup::lol::busted::worthy::busted:

If you are looking for warm weather Colorado is not for you. The trail riding season is very short.

I'm with Spud. The Austin area is fabulous, and the XRR is the perfect bike for commuting around town.

You're right, though, off-road exploring is limited in the immediate vicinity. However, MTB trails are plentiful and difficult. Check out the Greenbelt and Emma Long motorcycle park.

I'm doing my best to talk President Bush into moving the entirety of Big Bend closer to town. He seems to be in pretty close communication with God, so I figure the move wouldn't be that difficult a task for him.

we pretty muchhave no limits here.

just look at what is legal here in certain counties!lol

I've lived in central Illinois, Phoenix, San Diego, northern California, and now live in North Carolina. If I was still single, I would live in San Diego - deserts, mountains, beaches, etc. Unfortunately, it's mega-expensive. Nor Cal is just as expensive and Phoenix was too hot!

We moved 3,000 miles to Lenoir, North Carolina (just outside of Hickory and about an hour and a half from Charlotte and an hour and half from Asheville. We're about 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway and 15 minutes from Brown Mountain ORV park and Brushy Mountain motorcycle park.

It's a growing community and the cost of living is excellent. We bought a 3,300 sq. ft. bed & breakfast with 3 1/2 acres for less than what we were paying in rent for a 1,300 sq. ft. townhouse in CA. It's also a great place to raise a family if that's in your future...

I've been to Lenoir, and it is great riding. Loved the area, and skiing is not too far away. Lot of Bible belt stuff ("oh y'all are new to town, have you found a Church yet?), but folks were great.

The best lifestyle city in North America is Whitehorse, Yukon. Lots of wilderness, 4 season recreation infrastructure, incredible summers and mountain riding in town. You do have to be able to tolerate a little cold weather. Hunting, Fishing, pristine lakes, umm yeah, we got that.

I've been to Lenoir, and it is great riding. Loved the area, and skiing is not too far away. Lot of Bible belt stuff ("oh y'all are new to town, have you found a Church yet?), but folks were great.

Yeah, it's a little different than the 20 years I spent in California. But you're right - the people are friendly, there's a small town atmosphere, little traffic, no graffiti, and the tree-huggers haven't come here yet to tell us what we can and can't do. The only things I really miss about California are the deserts, In-N-Out Burgers, and Rubio's Fish Tacos!:thumbsup::busted: :busted:

The only things I really miss about California are the deserts, In-N-Out Burgers, and Rubio's Fish Tacos!:thumbsup::busted: :busted:

Ocean fishing, Surfing, the beach, and the beautiful people!

I'm partial to Northern NM. Santa Fe area maybe? Great climate, lots of riding.

Have you considered being employed by one of those companies that sends you around the country, spending a few months at each location? Great way to earn good $$ and save a bunch. Living anywhere is interesting for a while and you could get a feel for different parts of the country.

Ocean fishing, Surfing, the beach, and the beautiful people!

The ocean is only a few hours away.:ride:

As for the beautiful babes, uh, I mean people... I'm married now.:thumbsup::busted: :busted:

If you are looking for warm weather Colorado is not for you. The trail riding season is very short.

Ditto. Don't move to Colorado. It's snowed in 11 months of the year.

I have lived iseveral places

Wisconsin - Go Packers. Too cold in winter.

Denver - Too much smog, too crowded and quite a drive to get to good Mt biking.

Cheyenne - 10 months of winter, 2 months of summer, windy all the time.

Dallas - No real mt biking, too crowded

Orlando - nice weather, but I really missed winter. Also, the roads all seem to be flat and straight.

Las Vegas - I liked the desert, but the city has gotten too big. I also prefer to ride in more wooded areas

Moscow ID - This is by far my favorite place to live. Excellent weather with 4 very distinct seasons, no traffic, amazing roads for street bikes, great mt biking that I can RIDE to on my bike. And, sunsets that will blow you away.

Like several other people posting to this thread. I highly recommend the NW. I prefer the east side of the mountains because there is less rain, and more variety in the weather. I also prefer small towns. ISmall towns with a university are amazing places to live. Vibrant communities, and a great place to raise a family.

When we were looking a couple of years ago, Bend, OR came up at the top of a pretty short list. Definitely glad we made the move. This area is awesome. If we end up leaving, it will only be to find somewhere that's a little warmer year-round.

Come to Yuma and go to work immediately. Great climate, great riding, great location.

Cedar City is a pretty place.... I worked out in Enterprise...and "lived" in St. George. Great riding right outside of the city... fill the tank, slap on the GPS...and head into the desert/ mountains

DSC02725.JPG

Yeah, I worked at a wilderness therapy program for 4 years in enterprise. my boss was so cool, he had an unplated atk 605 that he would commute 45 mins to work using primarily trails through the mountains into enterprise.

yeah, I like southern utah. :thumbsup:

No No No jgbnm! There's nothing here in NM.....No riding....No mountains....No blue skies....NO CROWDS Like CA & CO....just keep driving on by 'cause there's no riding.

:thumbsup:

I'm partial to Northern NM. Santa Fe area maybe? Great climate, lots of riding.

Have you considered being employed by one of those companies that sends you around the country, spending a few months at each location? Great way to earn good $$ and save a bunch. Living anywhere is interesting for a while and you could get a feel for different parts of the country.

Defenitely stay out of Texas. Of all the places I have lived in this country, there are fewer riding areas than anywhere else. Hell in San Antonio if we want to ride at all we have to join a club and pay $300 per year for 400 acres. You can get some nice views and good street riding and even some good mountain biking. If it has a motor on it, you have very limited options. For places me and my buddies love to ride.. New Mexico has some great areas, Arkansas has a ton of riding areas, low cost of living, beutiful roads and I feel is an undiscovered gem. The weather roks as well!

Yeah, I worked at a wilderness therapy program for 4 years in enterprise. my boss was so cool, he had an unplated atk 605 that he would commute 45 mins to work using primarily trails through the mountains into enterprise.

yeah, I like southern utah. :busted:

Ha! You worked @ redcliff! Thats who I worked for... That was a freakin sick job...I was only there for a little bit, and unfortunately I had to quit because I broke my collar bone and a whole bunch of ribs on my off-shift :thumbsup: There was no way I could sling a pack in those conditions for at least 6 months.

Yeah, I use to ride from Enterprise to St. george via forest roads/ trails....you only need to sit on the pavement for like 2-3 miles at most

You ever go riding back in the Dixie Nat forest? Great place!!