HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bibleman

Best rust removal method?

14 posts in this topic

I know this is not XR related so maybe it will get deleted or moved but I know you guys are very knowledegable. I was recently given a 72 CB450 that I'm going to part out. It's been sitting in a barn for 27 years so it's got it's share of rust and corrosion. What's the best way to get some of the metal parts restored so I can put them on ebay? I heard theres a way to make an electrical /chemical bath setup. I was wondering if there's any kind of small sandblast gun setup I can atatch to my air compressor. Any ideas?

Electrolysis is the best method. Acid works, but dissolves some metal in the process. I have not tried this yet, but I plan to do so in the next few weeks. It can only be used on iron or steel though.

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/projects-how-write-ups/49040-help-rusted-gas-tank.html

I know this is not XR related so maybe it will get deleted or moved but I know you guys are very knowledegable. I was recently given a 72 CB450 that I'm going to part out. It's been sitting in a barn for 27 years so it's got it's share of rust and corrosion. What's the best way to get some of the metal parts restored so I can put them on ebay? I heard theres a way to make an electrical /chemical bath setup. I was wondering if there's any kind of small sandblast gun setup I can atatch to my air compressor. Any ideas?

Use a 50/50 mix of phosphoric acid to remove rust from steel. It can be used on nickel/chrome plate w/o attacking the nickel or chrome. It will attack zinc, aluminum, zinc die cast but used carefully...maybe 5%/vol it will clean up those metals very well. Paint soon after the cleanup as the phosphoric acid leaves a "micro" etch on the base metal that allows paint to bond well w/ the base metal.

Thanks a bunch for the info guys. I wonder if phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in Naval Jelly. I knew some guys who used it "back in the day".

por-15 is good stuff but it really sucks to put on. and make sure you're wearing junk clothes, because once that stuff is on fabric it doesn't come off. Don't get me wrong, its a pretty easy system but there is limited colors and a little time put into getting rid of the rust makes the parts look a lot better.

Thanks a bunch for the info guys. I wonder if phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in Naval Jelly. I knew some guys who used it "back in the day".

It is.

I had a old hodaka that i restored last year and tried a soda blasting to rid the rust off the chrome. It works excellent!

When I had some rust on my headpipe, I bought some Brillo type pads at Home Depot, can't remember which section. They come in different grits and a couple of them are specific to cleaning up metal. It worked great, and the bike looked brand new when I was done...